Thread: Foreign Operation in the USA

Default Foreign Operation in the USA

So, I have my Ukrainian license and currently living in the USA. Is it possible for me to use my Ukrainian Callsign with a / code to transmit?

I think you would be better off contacting the ARRL and clarifying it with them. You can legally operate in the US with your Ukrainian license (http://www.arrl.org/obtaining-permission), as the Ukraine is a CEPT country. But that is intended for short term use. I could ask my father: He's got a US Amateur Extra license because he had a UK "Class A" license beforehand and I'm pretty sure he didn't have to take any additional tests.

Quote Originally Posted by OH8GAD View Post
    I think you would be better off contacting the ARRL and clarifying it with them. You can legally operate in the US with your Ukrainian license (http://www.arrl.org/obtaining-permission), as the Ukraine is a CEPT country. But that is intended for short term use. I could ask my father: He's got a US Amateur Extra license because he had a UK "Class A" license beforehand and I'm pretty sure he didn't have to take any additional tests.
    I'm not sure this is the case. I'm a Volunteer Examiner Team leader and I'm not aware of any credits given by the FCC for the possession of a foreign license.

the answer to the question is yes, you use a code... if you are on the mainland use the letter W followed by the numerical indicator of the area...example W5 for Texas, W7 for Arizona, followed by your call....if you were from Canada the W5 would follow your call...but every where else we have the agreement with it preceeds the call... and your call must list the area you are working from... example CQ CQ CQ W5/your call sign Houston, Tx

oh and the answer to that question is found in part 97.119 of the rule book.

With a U.K. license, you can operate pretty much anywhere for up to a month with the country prefix followed by your callsign...

Quote Originally Posted by rost12129 View Post
    So, I have my Ukrainian license and currently living in the USA. Is it possible for me to use my Ukrainian Callsign with a / code to transmit?
    I'm assuming from the OP, rost12129, is actually living in the US, so wants something more permanent.
    I think this bit covers it:
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...g-arrangements
    If I read it right, if your license is from a country that is part of CEPT, then you can get a US license without taking any additional exams.

Quote Originally Posted by OH8GAD View Post
    I'm assuming from the OP, rost12129, is actually living in the US, so wants something more permanent.
    I think this bit covers it:
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...g-arrangements
    If I read it right, if your license is from a country that is part of CEPT, then you can get a US license without taking any additional exams.
    No, it doesn't say you can get a US license without taking the exams. All that says is that the operator can act as a control operator if you have a license from a country that has a reciprocal operating agreement with the US. The operator still has to use his own license and call sign.

In the UK, OFCOM will grant a UK callsign to a permanent resident at the appropriate level to the licence they have back home - we don't make them take a test that has already had it's standards verified in another country. They just do a matching exercise and hand out the callsign. US service personnel for example at the airbases here just get given the appropriate UK callsign on application.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    In the UK, OFCOM will grant a UK callsign to a permanent resident at the appropriate level to the licence they have back home - we don't make them take a test that has already had it's standards verified in another country. They just do a matching exercise and hand out the callsign. US service personnel for example at the airbases here just get given the appropriate UK callsign on application.
    I'm corresponding with my VEC to see if there is an equivalent program in the US, but so far I haven't gotten a definitive answer. All he's done is reiterate the reciprocal operating agreements.

There is nothing is the US Part 97 amateur radio service that provides for the granting of US licenses without taking an examination, except for those that have held expired US licenses.

I've often wondered if I retook my 1980 exam, with no knowledge of current requirements, if I'd pass? Would be interesting to find out. I guess here, our Ukranian friend may well just have to do the US test - but, reading posts from people who have been 'naughty' in the past, the US government don't award them without careful checks, and I guess they couldn't;t do that on a foreign national (or could, but probably won't)

I finally heard from my VEC and it is not possible to obtain a US license without taking at least the Technician exam, even if the person holds a foreign license.
    Last edited by K6CPO; Wed 7th Nov 2018 at 18:14.