Thread: Rooftop Mounting Advice For Beginner

Default Rooftop Mounting Advice For Beginner

I'm thinking about mounting a vertical vhf antenna on the second story of my house, but have no experience with doing so.

I also have a very high fir tree next to my house, but climbing that scares me, and it has VERY dense branches. So I'm pretty set on using my second story instead, even if it means less height.

I've found plenty of information on feed line, grounding, etc., but what I'm mostly concerned about, is getting it as high as reasonably possible, without it being too weak. The wind here isn't TOO bad (NW Montana), but we do get snow.

What are some best practices for rooftop mounting, and what are some things I should avoid?

I assume I will want some sort of mast? Is that something I would need to buy, or could I just build it myself? And at what height would be reasonable? And at what point would guy lines be needed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lots of options. More or less depends on how much you want to spend and your personal preference for how you want things to look (and of course the wife and her desires). I have used several different mounting methods over the years. On two, 2 story homes i have had I have mounted a tower beside the house, I have used a tripod on the roof to hold a mast. Tripods come in various sizes and will support a wide variety of masts. You can add supports to your eve and then put a tall pipe type mast up, anchored on the ground and at your eve area and if you choose to go up very high past that, you can guy it. The limitations are pretty much up to your imagination and budget.

Chimney brackets are the first choice, second would be T & K on the side of the house.

Try and get the antenna as high as you can for VHF...

Yep, I used chimney brackets one time....I would suggest that if you go very high about the chimney you guy it as well.
    Of course that means you would have to have a chimney...
    Last edited by Obed; Fri 26th Oct 2018 at 17:03.

Unfortunately, the chimney wouldn't be a good option, because it's on a section of the house that is just 1 story.

I was thinking about mounting it so that the mast starts at the first story and attaches to the eve of the second floor. But if I do it that way, I couldn't tether it from 4 angles (not even 3, actually). But that would mean less coax length.

If I mount it in the middle of the second story roof, I could use 4 guy lines at 90 degree increments, but there would be about 10 feet more coax. But I have no idea how you are supposed to mount an antenna in this way (I have composite shingles for roofing.).

I plan on using Heliax coax, so I don't think loss will be an issue.

Chimney only if the mortar is any good. It's not an inexpensive rebuild....

how far above the roof of the second story are you wanting the antenna to be? If you are not going more than 10 feet about the roof, a standard tv antenna tripod would work and you would not likely need to guy it off. A VHF vertical does not have a lot of wind loading.
    If you want to go much more than the 10 feet above the tripod, I would guy it or get a heavy duty tripod (those are expensive).
    Last edited by Obed; Mon 29th Oct 2018 at 17:13.

oh an added thought. If you do roof mount, penetrations in the roof are necessary, you might want to check with your home owners insurance agent and see what their requirements are for sealing the penetrations. They might want to have an inspector come look at it.

Thanks for the heads up on that last bit!

As far as height is concerned, my initial thoughts were "As high as possible!" but maybe it's not worth all the extra effort in the end. I will probably want to put up other antennas in the future, so I might not want a million guy lines going all over the place!

I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-SW-0.../dp/B001DFTGUQ

If I went that route, and didn't use guy lines, then I'd want to go no more than 10 feet of mast or so above the eave? I guess antenna height would also be a factor? The 6m antenna I'm looking at is 13 feet, but a 10m vertical if I decide to get one in the future, would be 18 feet or so. In fact, a mounting system that afforded me the ease of switching out antennas for testing and experimentation (especially if I do homebrew), might be a good way for me to go, knowing myself.

And then there's 2 meters.....I guess I'll have to eventually use some multi-band antennas! But I really want the 6m antenna to resonate as best as possible, so I don't think I'd want to use a multi-band antenna for that.