Thread: What antenna is this?

Default What antenna is this?

Hey guys! New to the forum and looking for some input. Just bought a house and it has a huge tower and antenna in the back yard. Best I can figure is its some sort of beam antenna. Basically the wife doesnt want it there and I need to get rid of it. Is there any value to it? I have a picture of it but cant figure out how to post that here. Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Nick

Can't answer questions like this until we see the picture.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Or know what part of the planet said tower is erected at.

These details help.

as to value, not likely...the cost of taking things down if you are not equipped to do it yourself, often exceed any value the tower and antenna have.

Http://imgur.com/gallery/TCvJ0D9
    I live in the metro Detroit. Just curious as to what is and what it would be used for. And any tips for getting it down. The tower is about 80' tall.
    Last edited by Nickknock; Thu 25th Oct 2018 at 22:59.

It's a multiband direction HF aerial. I can be used on several bands, probably at least 14 MHz, 7 MHz and 10 MHz, plus a few more, judging from the traps in the elements.
    How to get it down? No idea. From the photo, you can't see if the tower can tilt or not.

I saw one of the picture's commenters is a radio amateur, N2EEE, do you know them personally? Maybe they can help out.

I would contact the local amateur radio club and let them know you have a tower and antenna you would like to get rid of.
    They may know someone who wants one and will take it down for you taking the tower and antenna as payment.

Yep - that's the usual solution. Aluminium has decent scrap value *(at least here in the UK) but the hassle of getting it down should not be underestimated. Perfectly doable if you have a head for heights and some basic kit - safety harnesses, tools etc. I guess you joined just to find out how to remove it, so the local radio club will almost certainly remove it for you assuming the base is either removable or replaceable - without it, the thing really is scrap.

for years I was the resident tower guy for our local ham group. I have all the gear and i have taken down many a tower... and put them up and installed antennas for folks... most clubs have someone like that. We also helped the widows of silent keys take towers and antennas down and tried to get them some money for the radios and gear. Your local amateur radio club is your best starting point.

Thanks for all the great input! The base is encased in concrete and doesnt have the usual "hinge" down possibility. If i was able to take it down, any value in the antenna/tower? It is sounding like im just gonna scrap it based on what ive heard so far. Luckily the property is plenty big enough to cut the guide cables and let her crash down. I have no clue how I would contact a local club to even ask. Bottom line, its gotta go. Wife doesnt like the guide cables coming down in the yard with kids running around and such.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Yep - that's the usual solution. Aluminium has decent scrap value *(at least here in the UK) but the hassle of getting it down should not be underestimated. Perfectly doable if you have a head for heights and some basic kit - safety harnesses, tools etc. I guess you joined just to find out how to remove it, so the local radio club will almost certainly remove it for you assuming the base is either removable or replaceable - without it, the thing really is scrap.
    What is it with you guys over there? Not every tower is a scrap pile held vertical.

the cost of having a tower taken down, if you are not able to take it down yourself, most often outweighs what one would get for the tower.
    Here in the Houston area there are sections of tower available all the time, and a few guys who sell used towers. I have put up towers using a section of tower sunk and cemented as a base and a gin pole to put up sections...the easy way to contact an amateur radio club would be to google amateur radio club in the city one wants to find them in...if a guy does not have the proper harness and a good gin pole, those would cost a bit too.