Thread: Tuning 40Mtr antenna

Default Tuning 40Mtr antenna

Hi,
    My 40 MTR dipole antenna, tunes to a low SWR at 6.66MHz. How much should I shorten each end to tune to 7.1MHz please?
    Camerart

a little bit at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by camerart View Post
    Hi,
    My 40 MTR dipole antenna, tunes to a low SWR at 6.66MHz. How much should I shorten each end to tune to 7.1MHz please?
    Camerart
    Hi OM Camerart,

Measure actual length on one side (assuming both sides are equal!) = L

Length to be trimmed on each side = L x [1 - (6.66/7.1)]

It would be wise to follow Obed's advice - 'a little bit at a time'!

Repeat the process till you get the lowest SWR at 7.1 MHz.

Good luck!

Nandu.
    Last edited by vu2nan; Thu 18th Oct 2018 at 16:56.

I concur - never been able to make measurements reflect what you get in practice!

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies, especially vu2nan, and the calculation.

I have spent a while using the above suggestions, and failed so far. I am trying to avoid going up ladders, and one end is under the eaves of the house. In my earlier attempts I folded the ends back and wound them back round the antenna, in case I took too much off.

I was talking to someone at my Ham club, and he explained the at the ends of the antenna, shortening/lengthening effects if an end is near to a building/tree, (for example) Also, winding the ends back, as I did also affects the length in a capacitance way. First unwrap and cut the folded back sections, while checking.

When I asked the question, I thought a simpler % kind f answer would give me a guide.
    C.

Hi,
    I had to take about a foot of each end, now it's tuned.

From #5 regarding antenna ends near a house or other. Previously, I had tried shortening the lower end, away from the house end, resulting in not much change. I folded back the extra. Once up the ladder I noticed that when I shortened the house end, the changes were most pronounced. Does this add up?
    C.