Thread: Switching supply wiring question

Default Switching supply wiring question

I picked up a 50 amp switching power supply (similar to the 50 amp Meanwell supplies being sold on Ebay). I intend to use it as a primary supply for my shack's 13.8 volt needs replacing a 35 amp Astron linear PS. The old Astron is feeding a West Mountain Radio Power Gate PG40s which distributes the DC power output to a battery back up system and multiple power distribution. This system has been working fine for a few years.

My total amps needed for a solid state HF exciter, transverters and amps will be in the 35 max amp range.

The new switching power supply has a bank of 3 pairs of output terminals. The unit is rated at a max of 50 amps but I am wondering how that 50 amps is distributed? I'm guessing the "total" amps across all three outputs is at 50 Amps with each terminal capable of handling 1/3 of the 50 amp total at any one time. Or can a max of 40 to 50 amps be drawn off of one terminal set by itself as long as I don't use the other two sets of terminals?

How are others using these supplies wiring them?

I suppose it all depends on the terminal posts and the internal wiring. RS components sell various ones 30A and 63A being common, with thread size seeming the determining factor.

If you have 3 sets of posts then I would personally distribute any load over all 3 sets.

Kind regards,

Phil

i have 3 like that, I ran a fuse block behind them and ran 10 ga. wire from each terminal to the fuse. The wiring terminals are too small for anything larger than 10 ga.
    I ran two supplies in parallel to run a 500 watt solid state amp. I used that combo in my shop out back and it worked fine until the amp finally died.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    i have 3 like that, I ran a fuse block behind them and ran 10 ga. wire from each terminal to the fuse. The wiring terminals are too small for anything larger than 10 ga.
    I ran two supplies in parallel to run a 500 watt solid state amp. I used that combo in my shop out back and it worked fine until the amp finally died.
    Thanks for the info. I am running a few solid state amps for a 160m thru 70cm QRP station. So I've got a mix of HF, and VHF / UHF 100 watt amps. Don't think I would ever be running more than one amp at any given time. I think the 50 Amp supply I have will do fine and I'll take your advice about using the three sets of output terminals to one fuse block and then run that to the pwr distribution panel.

I was concerned about how much each single output terminal could handle and I guess if you are running 10 ga. wire in your setup I should be able to do the same. BTW, I currently have a 100 watt solid state HF linear for 160 - 10, and also some separate 100 watt amps for 50, 144 and 430. Thinking about upgrading to an HF amp in the 100 or higher range that will do 160 thru 6.

I'm curious about what your 500 watt amp is ..

Thanks .. Rich WA1TRY