Thread: Need help with APRS on FT2DR

Default Need help with APRS on FT2DR

I'm a relatively new HAM operator having just received my license about a month ago. I've also just purchased a FT2DR and have been having a lot of fun with it. I'm having a bit of trouble getting APRS to work completely. I can receive incoming beacons/messages just fine but when I try to transmit a beacon/message it doesn't seem to work. I can tell that the radio is transmitting the beacon when I press bcn-tx as I hear that "modem" connection sound that we all used to hear back in the days of internet dial-up. However when I check aprs.fi my callsign doesn't display on the map. I've also tried sending a text message to my smart phone using SMSGTE and that does not work either. I used the FT2DR APRS Edition Instruction Manual as my guide to setting up APRS on my FT2DR. I've done extensive searches on the internet and I can find cases where others have posed questions about this same issue but so far haven't found a solution. Which has lead me here in hopes that someone has some experience with this issue and can provide some ideas on what the problem could be and/or how I might troubleshoot the issue. Thanks Bruce

It could just be you're not being heard by the other gateways, or they're not configured to repeat your packets.
    Try getting some height and keep trying!

Thanks that could be the case. I live in Plano, TX in the DFW area. It seems that according to aprs.fi that there is infrastructure near by but I could be mistaken. I guess I'll try and research it more. If I can find the location of an igate perhaps I can take my HT close to it and perform a test. Thanks!

Just wanted to followup. I found that there is an APRS iGate at UTD in Richardson TX which is about 6 miles from my house. I decide to try a test transmission from a closer location. I had to go buy a rain jacket at REI this morning and the REI parking lot is about 2 miles from the UTD campus so I did a test transmission from there and it worked!! So there aren't any issues with the radio settings it's just a distance or LOS issue. Thanks. Bruce

One of the key aspects of packet radio that many have (always) ignored, is not to have a transmitter too powerful, for exactly this reason.