Thread: Cushcraft

Default Cushcraft

Anyone have any experience with cushcraft’s model r 8 40 vertical antenna?

I have an R7, restored with basic materials, which works very well. My old U.K. club had an R5 which was very good too.
    The R8 is probably an improvement of an already very good multiband vertical...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    I have an R7, restored with basic materials, which works very well. My old U.K. club had an R5 which was very good too.
    The R8 is probably an improvement of an already very good multiband vertical...
    How much guying is required? I have limited space so a beam really isn’t possible for me ,I understand under good conditions the r8 will reach out there

either the cushcraft or the butternut both work well...
    I have used the cushcraft at friends shacks, but when I had a multiband veritcal I had the butternut.

Mine isn't guyed, 85km winds bent it quite nicely 2 days after I put it up...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    Mine isn't guyed, 85km winds bent it quite nicely 2 days after I put it up...
    How windy is it there ? Here in Oklahoma it’s windy in fact an possible F 1 tornado sent down today not 3 miles from here this afternoon

Guy it. Don't be that guy without guys, guy.

We get seasonal winds here, quite predictable - sometimes they are quite strong and last a few weeks.

Be careful what you guy it with, there is some kind of military grade, U.V. resistant woven kevlar available, which is probably quite good and should last more than 1 or 2 years.
    Not tried it myself, but it seems to be the best option unless you intend to inspect & replace it every so often.

DX Engineering and a few others make mounts that allow you to lay the vertical down easily.
    Lots of good guy materials out there. I put up a lot of wire antennas, play with them and take them down and make others so I use a lot of wire and need something cheap and pretty reliable to pull them up and support them. I have tried all kinds of synthetic ropes of various sizes over the years... what I have settled on for the last few years is weed eater line. It is strong and reliable. I have had some off center dipoles that I use up at my farm that have been up with weed eater line for 2 years...
    the nice thing about weed eater line is that when I am done using it for guy or support, I cut it up in about 14" pieces and use it to weed eat with. Serves two purposes... making it cheaper yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    DX Engineering and a few others make mounts that allow you to lay the vertical down easily.
    Lots of good guy materials out there. I put up a lot of wire antennas, play with them and take them down and make others so I use a lot of wire and need something cheap and pretty reliable to pull them up and support them. I have tried all kinds of synthetic ropes of various sizes over the years... what I have settled on for the last few years is weed eater line. It is strong and reliable. I have had some off center dipoles that I use up at my farm that have been up with weed eater line for 2 years...
    the nice thing about weed eater line is that when I am done using it for guy or support, I cut it up in about 14" pieces and use it to weed eat with. Serves two purposes... making it cheaper yet.
    Really? And it holds up to UV ok? Huh, I would've never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Cushcraft offers a optional kit that provides brackets for rope to attaches to the antenna for guying , I’m courious just the strength is and what the life is

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    yep it holds up to UV, if you look at the packaging some of the packages actually state it is UV resistant. I typically buy mine at Lowe's or Home Depot. That said the longest i have ever had the weedeater line up is a bit over 2 years. That one is still up so I guess I will eventually find out how long it lasts.