Thread: Beam antennas

Default Beam antennas

As a beginner I知 starting out with a 2-meter ground plane antenna, I知 having a hard time understanding the next level and beam antennas, how will I know what beam antenna to get, what meter or meters that I値l want to talk on , I知 taking my tech test a wee from Saturday then the next level in two months, I sure could use some advice

HF Short beam

Get yourself a vertical for 2m to begin with, beam antennas are good for 2m, but they need a rotator and more importantly, good coaxial cable.
    Good coax can cost as much as your whole station, but well worth the investment.

For short runs (up to 5m) RG213 should be OK, any longer and you really should go for something with lower loss at 2m and above.

2m verticals work best mounted as high as possible, the more horizon it can see, the better, as with all VHF & UHF bands.

Beam antennas usually refer to a Yagi-type, they are quite small for 2m, but for H.F, as Tron points out above, they can get quite big.

Another approach is a magnetic loop, with similar performance to a dipole, a magloop is easy and cheap to build and take up very little space.
    You could probably build one for less than 」20, find a nice big variable capacitor from a rally, a bit of coax, a loop of something conductive and there you have it...

First up, do a bit of reading, for example: http://www.arrl.org/vhf-beams is good start.

As for needing a rotator - yes and no... yes for practicability, but with a small set-up you can get away without one. I used to have a three-element beam on a pole mounted outside of my bedroom window. To turn it, I would open the window, stick my arm out and turn the pole by hand

The other thins are mode and polarisation. As soon as you move from local chat on 2m to DX - you move to SSB, and horizontally polarised antennas. You can use verticals for extending your local chat, but few folk bother. You move to side band and as long an antenna as you can fit and afford. Some are massive and the rotators serious money! You move to lower loss cable and as much height as you can. The biggest I could afford and put up was an 8 element, and at the radio club we had a 19 element. Where I am based on the UK east coast, with my 8 element I could work people in the Scandinavian counties, Holland, Belgium and France most times, and when there was a lift on - many miles further. For UHF, you can get bigger gains.