Thread: K5ATE in Las Vegas

Default K5ATE in Las Vegas

I got my license almost two years ago but was put off by the rather elitist culture. I know not everyone is like that, but there are some. Iím giving it another go.

I live and travel full time in a 5th wheel and hope to use amateur radio as a backup communications method if I get in trouble when Iím out hiking out of cell phone range. My thought has been to setup a 2m/70cm cross band repeater mobile unit in my truck then carry something like a Yaesu VX6R while hiking or fishing. If I need to call for help I might be able to get out through my CBR. Iím pretty healthy, but Iím 58...

I just bought a 2019 Silverado Duramax dually 4x4 crew cab High Country in pearl white. Iíd have been better off getting a work truck cause Iím fretting about where to mount antennas for fear of damaging the paint! But it is a nice truck!

Iím going to try the ham meets again this month. Last time I went I was ignored. I guess little old ladies arenít welcome in the menís club, and the womenís group was all social circle.

Yeah, Iím a bit jaded.

Kate

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Kate, welcome to the HR Forum.
    The rather elitist culture, oh yes it's everywhere but hopefully this time your find a club with less of that attitude, we get it in the UK mainly over licence grades we have three and even though it's a hobby some people look down on you because you decided the first level suits your needs!!
    We don't like the my way is the only way on this forum so please read, enjoy and ask what may seem like a daft questions, there are people here with the answers.
    Pete - 2EōFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

That is odd that you were ignored...around here YLs are so much fewer in numbers that if anything, they get special treatment.
    In operating (HF) that is even more the case. My wife is in high demand every field... most guys will answer a YL in a pile up before they will answer any of us old farts. Any how, sorry for your treatment, enjoy the forum and the hobby.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Must be a regional vhf thing because around here the yl's get rockstar treatment by the 15 going on 65 crowd; like they have a chance.

For the first 18 or so years of my life, I lived on South 6th Street in Vegas, just a block from what is now "Pawn Stars". Was licensed in '59. Never had a problem with elitism back then. But things, as they say, change.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Well to be honest I'm a bit of an introvert, so it's entirely possible that I exude a "leave me alone!" vibe! So it could just be me!

Anyway, I went to a local swap meet this morning and had a chat with a gentleman with much experience, and we have a GigaParts here in Vegas now, and Gene there has been very helpful.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

Kate