Thread: Another FNG, looking for local club and something to listen to

Default Another FNG, looking for local club and something to listen to

Hi all, just got my callsign today "KJ7AXT" (took my tech test at a hamfest on Saturday). I have had my HT (Yaesu-ft60 with a Diamond MR77SMA dual band mag pole for the house and a Diamond SRH77CA when I'm driving around) for about 2 weeks now, and have been messing around with it trying to find some good frequencies to listen to. I can hit a couple of repeaters that seem to be about 25-30 miles away with some really good clarity, receiving anyway, I have yet to actually xmit yet so not sure how that'll work out with a 5W HT. There seems to be some traffic on those repeaters, but it seems as if there are callsigns from all over this area of the states (Cali, Az, Utah, Nevada). Quick noob question, are these repeaters "online"...or connected to the internet? How are they able to have such a wide range of coverage? One of the repeaters is part of the E.A.A.R.S., the other is part of a WIN repeater system. I definitely am looking forward to being able to have comms with people in this type of range, but is this true "ham radio"? Should power go out to 1, or some of those repeaters would the network chain be broken 'downstream' from that? If that's a dumb question I apologize...again I'm still trying to learn as I go. Other than these 2 repeaters (pretty sure there's got to be other active repeaters) there isn't really a whole lot going on with any of the repeaters I've seen listed on repeaterbook.com. I obviously don't have the most powerful set up in the world, but are there any tricks of the trade I need to be aware of? Thanks for the help, I'm really looking forward to really delving into the hobby!
    Last edited by texhater; Tue 2nd Oct 2018 at 03:17.

yes those repeaters are internet linked and the win system often has folks from all parts of the globe on it.
    The internet linking is now part of the ham world and is here to stay. Is it true ham radio in the traditional spirit of things, some of us old timers would argue that it is modern technology but it is not ham radio. As for this old timer, well I say it is a hobby that you are supposed to be able to enjoy, so if that appeals to you, go for it.
    I am pretty much an HF guy here and rarely get on the repeaters, but I have no issue with the guys who are repeater users. We do have one regular poster on this forum who has no problem denigrating those guys, but every group has it's old grump, pay him no mind, no one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    We do have one regular poster on this forum who has no problem denigrating those guys, but every group has it's old grump, pay him no mind, no one else does.
    I have definitely seen a couple of those guys, not just on this site, but on the radio as well. I figure...why sweat the small stuff? At least the hobby has "fresh blood".

I got into "ham radio" for preparedness reasons, but now that I am getting a feel for amateur radio I feel it has tugged on an interest of mine that I didn't even know was there! I'll stumble around on repeaters for a while, but I can already feel the next step will be upgrading to General and reaching out further.

As for now, I am jumping frequencies, moving antenna around trying to find best signal (I figure I'm not alone there) and working towards my first QSO. Looking forward to joining a club and picking the brain of those who know way more than I do. Thanks for the reply!