Thread: Baofeng BF-888s With Baofeng UV-5R 2+ using simplex.

Default Baofeng BF-888s With Baofeng UV-5R 2+ using simplex.

Hi, I probably have posted a thread about this before but I'm not sure how to see my old threads. So far I have had my technician license for about 2-3 months. I have been enjoying my baofeng so far. However, I got a few buddies I would like to do simplex with. I wanted to purchase a pair of BF-888s for any friends to use whether it be for hiking or camping. I am wanting to be able to use a pair of the BF-888s with my UV-5R 2+ all together with simplex. What would be a good way to do this?

Just make sure they're all set to the same frequency, say somewhere between 445.00-447.00 MHz.

If you want to see your own posts, look up at the top right of the page and you will see:

Welcome xdm Notifications My Profile Settings Log Out

Just click on your username: xdm

That should take you to a page that shows all your details, including your posts.
    If you don't see them, then look for the "My Activity" tab and click on that.

Are frequencies 445.00-447.00 FRS or GMRS or just simply frequencies used for simplex? Also do I need to make changes to CTCSS and Offset? What if I want to put a privacy code or something. Do I also need a Chirp Cable to change the frequencies on the BF-888s?

Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post
    Are frequencies 445.00-447.00 FRS or GMRS or just simply frequencies used for simplex? Also do I need to make changes to CTCSS and Offset? What if I want to put a privacy code or something. Do I also need a Chirp Cable to change the frequencies on the BF-888s?
    Assuming you are in the US (Technician license) 445.000-447.000 are within the US 70cm amateur band. They ARE NOT FRS or GMRS frequencies. It is permissible for you to use these frequencies as a Technician licensee, but your friends can't unless they are also licensed.

Dang, Then what can be legal for them to use that I can pair my baofeng UV-5R with?

Sounds like a chance for you to recruit a couple new technicians.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I think the real issue here is just one question - How legal do you want to be?

I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here in the UK, our laws are pretty parallel. Loads of people operate in the various public bands with no/wrong licence, and use equipment that may be certified for certain use, or not. Our authorities tend to ignore the licence free and simpler licence allocations where users all share a few channels. There's no protection from interference, nobody actually listening and policing. As a result loads of people use radios on frequencies they shouldn't, and frankly - nobody cares. Your own morals and ethics set the rules. If an one asks on a forum can you use a certain radio to do a certain, quite common task, everyone has to say NO, you will be arrested, the equipment confiscated and you get a huge fine. Reality is very different.

Dang, Then what can be legal for them to use that I can pair my baofeng UV-5R with?
    As a Technician License holder, you can use them in the 2 meter and 70cm bands, but your use of them may be limited in light of the Enforcement Advisory issued this week by the FCC:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
    Last edited by K6CPO; Wed 26th Sep 2018 at 19:06.

the short answer (and be legal), nothing. If you have a amateur radio license and are using amatuer gear.... you can only transmit on amateur assigned frequencies.
    You non-ham friends are not allowed to transmit on those frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    As a Technician License holder, you can use them in the 2 meter and 70cm bands, but your use of them may be limited in light of the Enforcement Advisory issued this week by the FCC:

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf
    Laura Smith, FCC General Counsel, had reiterated the prohibition on the use of radios capable of operating in multiple services that don't possess the necessary certifications. This advisory has essentially rendered most Baofengs illegal and obsolete.