Thread: FT-60r

Default FT-60r

Hello all! Im located in NC and going through a little storm so Id thought Id get my HT out just in case I needed it. Last night everything was good on battery. I purchased a new one last year so its only a year old and havent really even used it. Plugged in my cigerette lighter plug snd that worked fine. I left that in til this morning and now the battery pack doesnt power the radio at all. I cant for the life of my figure out why.

I checked the voltage using my DVM and its reading 7.5 or so. I took the radio apart to see if anything burnt out and I dont see anything obvious but im also not an engineer so i could be just missing something. Put it back together and still nothing with the battery. Works fine plugged in the cig lighter plug. I just ordered the battery pack that you can add standard batteries just in case the battery pack just went bad somehow but doesnt make sense why it would. It just worked fine last night.

Can anyone help or have any idea why? Is there something stopping it from using the battery?

Check the copper contact points and make sure they aren't bent and are clean. I can think of know other reason why it would show a charge but not work on the radio.

Ill double check the points but im afraid i may have somehow burnt something out. Not sure how that would happen but may have to replace the radio. ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could try connecting a small 12V bulb across the battery terminals and at the same time measure the Voltage drop, if it's more than a few Volts, you probably have a bad cell in the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    You could try connecting a small 12V bulb across the battery terminals and at the same time measure the Voltage drop, if it's more than a few Volts, you probably have a bad cell in the pack...
    Aahh, okay. Ill give that a shot. I wondered if it was possible that it just went bad but wondered how to tell. Thanks.

Just got a new battery pack in the mail today. Threw in some brand new batteries and still nothing. Beginning to think I somehow burnt the part of the radio that looks for the battery. It no longer will run off a battery. Only off the cigarette plug.

Any ideas on fixing this or is it toast?

Quote Originally Posted by W5LRC View Post
    Just got a new battery pack in the mail today. Threw in some brand new batteries and still nothing. Beginning to think I somehow burnt the part of the radio that looks for the battery. It no longer will run off a battery. Only off the cigarette plug.

Any ideas on fixing this or is it toast?

Contact Yaesu Repair. They might be able to give you some insight. And they could certainly repair the radio if it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    Contact Yaesu Repair. They might be able to give you some insight. And they could certainly repair the radio if it needs it.
    Rgr Iíll have to give that a go. Read there is an internal fuse or also something about an external power switch but I wasnít able to find either of those. Iíll give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay. I tore my little ft 60 apart again and am determined to fix this myself. Using my meter I noticed the negative brass spring on the radio that touches the battery does not have continuity with the neg part of the antenna. While apart, i connected the battery and then connected a wire from the neg part of the battery to the antenna and the radio lit up and turned on. So....looks like the brass spring that touches the battery doesnít seem to be touching anything on the other side. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? ie bend the spring a bit or something. Ive been messing around with that spring and i cant get continuity with the ground/neg part of the antenna.

Any ideas?

In case anyone wants to see the inside of a ft 60, here ya go.

73s

Front

Back

Chassis