Thread: APRS With FTM-100DR and Dual Monitor Questions

Default APRS With FTM-100DR and Dual Monitor Questions

I am new to APRS and am working my way through it with the manual and practice. I have a question however and cannot find it in the manual and google is not much help.

When APRS modem and Beacon TX is on with the VFO set to 144.39 I am transmitting the beacon. If I switch to another channel, say 146.52 and will I still continue to transmit the beacon tone on the new channel or does it automatically stop when not on 144.39? Same question for dual watch. If someone comes up on the home channel and we communicate does the APRS beacon try and send over the home channel? The reason I ask is that is seems clunky to go into the menu to turn off the beacon to, have a conversation and then go back into the menu and turn it back on. I can imagine that other will get annoyed as well if my beacon tones are sent over the air on a non APRS frequency.

One more question...if I mute the incoming beacon sound does that also mute other channels I might switch to or does it only mute 144.39?

Thanks!
    Dave
    K1PNW

Quote Originally Posted by deeve View Post
    I am new to APRS and am working my way through it with the manual and practice. I have a question however and cannot find it in the manual and google is not much help.

When APRS modem and Beacon TX is on with the VFO set to 144.39 I am transmitting the beacon. If I switch to another channel, say 146.52 and will I still continue to transmit the beacon tone on the new channel or does it automatically stop when not on 144.39? Same question for dual watch. If someone comes up on the home channel and we communicate does the APRS beacon try and send over the home channel? The reason I ask is that is seems clunky to go into the menu to turn off the beacon to, have a conversation and then go back into the menu and turn it back on. I can imagine that other will get annoyed as well if my beacon tones are sent over the air on a non APRS frequency.

One more question...if I mute the incoming beacon sound does that also mute other channels I might switch to or does it only mute 144.39?

Thanks!
    Dave
    K1PNW
    To answer your first question, yes. The APRS modem will continue to transmit the beacon as long as it's turned on, no matter what frequency you're on. This is why I relegated my FTM-100D to home use and purchased an FTM-400XDR for use in my vehicle. The FTM-400 is a true dual band in that it has two VFOs. It's possible to talk to your heart's content on the "A" band while continuing to beacon APRS on the "B" band.

As far as the muting question is concerned, I honestly don't know because i no longer us APRS on my FTM-100. (It's really kinda silly to beacon a stationary object.)
    Last edited by K6CPO; Fri 14th Sep 2018 at 23:53.

Thank you. Did you mean FTM-400xdr? Im guessing since I cannot find a 100 XDR. So far I am enjoying the 100DR being new to amateur radio. Depening how much I end up using it I may upgrade. Thank you.foe the answer.

Yeah, I did mean FTM-400XDR. I corrected my post.