Thread: Tiny 70cm receiver.

Default Tiny 70cm receiver.

Hey good people of HRF I need your help!

I am trying to find a tiny 70cm receiver that I can tune to a frequency, and be worn by my dog. I'm looking to make it in to something that can go on her collar, so I can tell her what to do a couple of fields away..

Any ideas?

Unless both you and your dog are licensed radio amateurs, then what you are asking is not legal in most countries.
    What you probably need is a license free service, such as PMR in Europe.
    Then the list of equipment wilö be limited.

First, can we assume that you are licensed?

If not, a cheap set of licence-free walkie talkies will do, once you've stripped one down to go on the collar, fashioned a harness for the battery and decided where the antenna is going to be placed!

FWIW, my kids' old walkie talkies could reach a few hundred metres, with approx 0.1w power when they had them almost 30 years ago. I saw a miniature set in a local store a few months back - around £10.

If you are licensed, your dog wouldn't need to be as he or she would only be listening!
    Last edited by AndyG0CCX; Mon 10th Sep 2018 at 08:38.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG0CCX View Post
    If you are licensed, your dog wouldn't need to be as he or she would only be listening!
    I'm pretty sure that if I heard something along the lines of "TW1T, F1D0, ooze a good boy then? Yes, you are! Now bring the ball to daddy" I'd be more likely to contact the local nut house, than the FCC...

ROFL!
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Yes, I am a licensed ham.. The legality of it.. Well, if I use my call sign when transmitting, I am not sure what would be illegal about it. I just thought it would be a laugh.

Check out the DRA-818U by Dorji. You can find them on E-Bay for around $12. I think Amazon sells them as well. You'd need to add some sort of controller and an antenna to use it but it's tiny and puts out about 1watt on high power.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bedmonson85 That is perfect, I don't need the tx, but that is perfect, thank you. I'll try an post a video of it working once I have it up and running.