Thread: Help with 1000w RF Amplifier

Default Help with 1000w RF Amplifier

Obviously I am new to this forum. I've worked on electronics as a hobby for 40 years and I'm mainly an audio guy. I've always been interested in ham radios and the RF side of electronics. I've recently acquired a Special Products Design Corp. SPD 1000l RF amplifier. It is a massive beast at 100 lbs. It was made for the Air Force in the early 70s, possibly for the Mars Mariner 9 project. It has two 3B28 half wave gas rectifier tubes and three 0B2WA voltage regulator tubes. It works on frequencies from 2.2 to 28mhz. I've looked it over really good and everything looks okay. There are some electrolytic capacitors that should be changed. I'd like to test it to power on, possibly with a variac, but want to know what to expect. I know that voltages could be thousands of volts, and I know safety as far as that goes. Any tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get more into radios, but this is much more than I need. I am selling it, but want to test it first.

Thanks!

Kennyg

I am guessing that this amp was found not operating. Not necessarily not operable.

So, any documentation of any kind available?
    -Jeff NE1U

Quote Originally Posted by Psi* View Post
    I am guessing that this amp was found not operating. Not necessarily not operable.

No documentation. I've been online looking and have had no luck finding anything. This is my first time on this forum and I'll figure out how I can load some photos. It would probably tell you a lot more. I'll probably have some up tomorrow.
    Thanks for your reply!

Kennyg

Quote Originally Posted by Psi* View Post

Evidently I'm too new to the forum and cannot post attachments yet. I'm not sure how long it takes to be able to do so.

Kennyg

Quote Originally Posted by OH8GAD View Post
    Yes! That is it! Thank you ! I figured someone on here came across one sometime. The voltages aren't quite as high as I expected. I'll have to read some more. Thanks again!

Kennyg