Thread: Brand new, looking for beginner, budget friendly ham radio base station

Default Brand new, looking for beginner, budget friendly ham radio base station

Hi all. Im not currently licensed but been studying on getting might amateur license for now. I don't own a car and would like something I can have in the house. From my researching around most home situations are expensive. Im brand new and dont need something too advanced.

Second question. Could I buy a mobile unit and use a power supply og sports.

Could you guys suggest some models of ideas please help.

Essentially I would like to speak to my bro out in Pennsylvania. Im in nyc

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Robnyc718 View Post
    To be honest, getting your amatuer radio license is a hell of a lot of work, just to chat to your brother. I'm not saying don't get the license, in fact I encourage you to do so, but for talking to your your brother, you'd be better off using the likes of Skype, Whatsapp, Facebook messenger or any other of the easy to use phone type applications out there. I use Whatsapp & Facebook messenger to stay in touch with my family, which is spread around the world.

As for amateur radio, it really depends on what level you start at and how keen are you to play around with things and experiment. For example, if you start with just VHF and higher privilages, then for about 50 bucks, you can get a basic 2 metre/70 cm FM walkie-talkie and start trying different aerial designs. You will be surprised at how far you can get with little power, but a decent aerial. For more money, you can splash out on bigger and better rigs, which have SSB and support digital modes and so on.

Default Let me add...

I got a cellphone, we talk with current technology.. lol just as a bonus would we like to talk to each other thru a ham radio

I currently have 3 baofeng radios. I been messing around with them. Just listening.

I'm looking for something dual band I just dont wanna spend over 500 bucks for a radio....

so, are you thinking of talking with your brother through linked repeaters? If so, look at the icom 2730 or something similar with a power supply and decent dual band antenna mounted up outside....once you get your license and can operate, you can crossband with those ht's you now have too.

The OP's brother would also have to hold a valid radio amateur license as well.

true, guess I assumed that as being part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robnyc718 View Post
    Hi all. Im not currently licensed but been studying on getting might amateur license for now. I don't own a car and would like something I can have in the house. From my researching around most home situations are expensive. Im brand new and dont need something too advanced.

Second question. Could I buy a mobile unit and use a power supply og sports.

Could you guys suggest some models of ideas please help.

Thank you
    There are digital modes—D-Star, DMR and System Fusion—that would allow you to talk to your brother via ham radio with both of you holding just Technician level licenses, but it's a bit more complicated. And potentially expensive... For many years, D-Star radios were only made by iCom but now Kenwood has some on the market. System Fusion is proprietary to Yaesu, and the radios are consequently more expensive. DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) is probably the least expensive to get into. DMR capable HTs can run $100-$200 and are fairly good quality for that price point. Unfortunately, all three modes are dependent on there being a capable repeater connected to the internet in range of the parties on either end.

The only non-internet method of talking via ham radio is on HF, which would require a General class license at the minimum. The HF capable radios are more expensive and so are the antennas. Once you have the setup and license, however, there are myriad ways of communicating; digital, SSB, AM, CW, RTTY, and so on. The other limiting factor of HF is propagation and the RF noise floor at your location.