Thread: Baofeng UV-5RV2+ As a walkie talkie?

Default Baofeng UV-5RV2+ As a walkie talkie?

Hi, so i have a Baofeng transcreiver and a Motorola walkie talkie. I found the channel frequencies online and i tuned the transceiver to said frequency and talked into the moto. I heard the sound coming out of the transceiver. That made me wonder, if i were to transmit on a walkie talkie frequency with the transcreiver, would that be legal?

No. You need a license to transmit on just about every radio frequency. There are certain license free bands, such as PMR in Europe and Family Radio Service (FRS) in the US, but the Baofeng UV-5RV2+ will not transmit on those bands.

Default Re: Baofeng UV-RV2+ As a walkie talkie talkie?

Thank you for the info. I googled FRS and i found its on the frequencies 462 and 467 MHz, i punched one of the frequencies in between those two, and it let me in. The specific frequency i punched in was 463.000.

OK. I was surprised that it could. Anyway, I tried to find anything about the legality of using such a wide band radio as the Baofeng on the US FRS band, but couldn't find anything clear on the FCC pages. I found this YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlxK80QUYpk
    Where it clearly states that it is illegal to use it on the FRS channels, unless it is an emergency. However, other comments beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by OH8GAD View Post
    OK. I was surprised that it could. Anyway, I tried to find anything about the legality of using such a wide band radio as the Baofeng on the US FRS band, but couldn't find anything clear on the FCC pages. I found this YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlxK80QUYpk
    Where it clearly states that it is illegal to use it on the FRS channels, unless it is an emergency. However, other comments beg to differ.
    Don't believe what the comments say. What makes Baofengs illegal to use on US FRS is they don't meet type certification, primarily the removable antenna and their transmit power.

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    Don't believe what the comments say. What makes Baofengs illegal to use on US FRS is they don't meet type certification, primarily the removable antenna and their transmit power.
    Thanks for the clarification.