Thread: Simplex Communication

Default Simplex Communication

Hi, So I finally started to transmit with my baofeng. It was fun and exciting. I'm wanting to know how to do simplex communication with multiple baofeng radios or FRS radios. I currently still use the Baofeong UV-5RV2+. I currently work security on the weekends with a few other guys and we are trying to get radios. However, the other guys besides me are not licensed and are possibly not interested in obtaining a license. I also heard on the radio that it is okay for people talk to simplex without a license. How can I program my baofeng and a second one possibly or a FRS radio to do simplex?

Radios transmitting and receiving on the same frequency are operating simplex.

This, however, doesn’t suddenly make operating a radio legal. You need to check the laws where you are. Many license free frequencies have restrictions, such as maximum erp, allowable aerials, etc.

Kind regards,

Phil

Well if me and a few guys need radios then what would be a suitable choice? I already have my license. What radios can I purchase for them to use alongside with my baofeng?

If you look through other threads that ask pretty much the same question, you'll find the answers!

I think the bottom line is that there are other types of radio you can use in the USA, but you'd all have to have the same type. Exactly what type, I can't tell you, but those other threads would. It would be illegal for them to have Baofengs (or any other make) and transmit on the amateur bands without a licence, and would almost certainly be illegal for you to use the Baofeng and for them to use another type of radio - even if they could operate on the same frequencies, as the Baofeng isn't approved or legal to use on those other frequencies.

As Phil said, check the laws where you are, and find those other threads and read through them.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

So I tried to look for other threads and unfortunately I was not able to find other threads that are helpful. I am on amazon right now looking at the Baofengs BF-888S. Seeing that I cannot use my UV-5RV2+ since it is illegal I do not mind using the BF-888S. Just now I would like to get feedback on them or a better recommendation on a pair of radios for work.

If you do a google search for “pmr radio” or “licence free radio” then many options will be available, often in pairs, or 4s, etc.

Alternatively you could pick up some handheld CB radios.

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post
    Hi, So I finally started to transmit with my baofeng. It was fun and exciting. I'm wanting to know how to do simplex communication with multiple baofeng radios or FRS radios. I currently still use the Baofeong UV-5RV2+. I currently work security on the weekends with a few other guys and we are trying to get radios. However, the other guys besides me are not licensed and are possibly not interested in obtaining a license. I also heard on the radio that it is okay for people talk to simplex without a license. How can I program my baofeng and a second one possibly or a FRS radio to do simplex?
    Amateur radio is just that; amateur. FCC regulations prohibit using amateur radio for work purposes. [Section 97.113(a)(3)]

No Baofeng radio, no matter what model, is legal to use on FRS because they don't meet the type certification for the service, to wit, they have removable antennas and they are too high powered.

Every radio service in the US is licensed, but the method of licensing varies. For instance, the Land Mobile Radio Service, used by businesses, requires a license and a specific assigned frequency(s) and it's usually very expensive. Amateur radio requires a free license that is obtained by passing an examination. The General Mobile Radio Service requires a license, but no examination. The license cost is $80. Other services, such as FRS, the Multiple Use Radio Service (MURS) and CB radio are "licensed by rule." This means that as long as you obey the rules of the service, including to adherence to radio type certifications, you can use the service. For your security work, MURS might be the way to go.

Simplex is a mode of communication that can be used in any of the services I've mentioned and it's essentially talking directly from one radio to another without using a repeater. Whoever told you it's legal to talk "simplex without a license" is woefully uninformed. It's permissible, but only in those services that not require prior licensing.