Thread: Hello. New and completely green!

Default Hello. New and completely green!

Hello all. My name is Simon, I am new to the HAM radio thing, I know some but not much. I was given some equipment several years ago and they stayed in the closet until recently. I realized that 4 or 5 of my co-workers were licensed operators and I told them I was always fascinated by it, and they encouraged me get into it. I have several rigs, including about 4 Heathkit lunchbox units in 2 meter (twoer), 6 meter, 10 (I think), and ones a CB. I have several military pack radios, one an un-issued RF-10 that works on 6 meter but I have no way to charge the battery, a halicrafters S-40 receiver which I listen to while reading, a handheld ADI AT-201, another handheld Alinco DJ-191 that looks like it's only good for parts, a Heathkit HW-202 (I know it works, tested the ADI with it), and my favorite of them, a Swan 500-C with MFJ Versa Tuner V, maple leaf mini antennae and candlestick mic. As an electrician I have always loved this stuff. Even in my house I took a ww2 B-24 liberator radio panel and rewired and soldered it, so that it operates the surround sound in my room, and I have another one that I did that acts as a switchboard for the intercom system in my house, the intercoms all being Sony Ericcson military field phones. LOL not sure, but hope this is the place to start.

Simon, from Ohio.

Welcome Simon!

First thing to do is get those batteries out of the radios, if they leak, your screwed, well, the radios are anyhow.

Try and find a local amateur radio club, they can advise you best for your locality, they might offer courses to get your ticket...

Already done, none of the battery operated ones have their batteries stored in the radios. I have been looking for local clubs but nothing has turned up yet, though I'm sure they are here. Would love to get licensed and get them set up properly for me to use. I'm especially fond of the RC 10 and the Swan 500-c tube rig.

Is there any direction you can point me in? or anybody for that matter. I'd love to get started on this.

Not sure, exactly, what the question is.

Kind regards,

Phil

As how to get started in becoming an operator. I've been looking at some test exams and learning and studying and understanding, but some guidance as to getting started especially from experts is wanted. then I have a lot of technical questions, antennas are a weak point for me, and building a battery charger for my RF 10.

Sorry if my questions are ignorant sounding, I have never been able to correctly word things right.

Simon.

Listen to H.F. - pick up on the practices you hear the majority of operators using.

Another good resource is your local library. You might be suprised what's in the radio section, even a small one.

Rallies are good places for information too, see if you can find one within reach and make an effort to attend it.

The RSGB & ARRL publish some "Bible" type books, well worth getting hold of some, even if they are over ten years old.

As for charging your batteries, maybe you could make a wooden holder for the cells to connect a regular charger to. Maybe eBay has them already?

Dear Simon,

I think joining a club is essential, in the first instance. There you’ll get guidance and assistance on the exam, and also help in choosing the setup for you.

Getting experience of the bands, modes, and operating procedure would also help greatly, which you can do by listening.

You don’t have to spend anything to do this, as there are many online SDR radios you can use for free. A collection of these can be found at:-

http://www.websdr.org

If you google ARRL Band Plan this will point you at a document which shows you the frequency ranges for each band, and where to find the various modes.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Phil

The entry level license is Technician. This gives you full privileges above 50 MHz, limited voice privileges on 10 meters(200 watts, single sideband only) and morse code only below that. The simplest antenna is a full wave loop. All you need is a piece of wire a little shorter than one wavelength long, attach one end to the center conductor and the other to the coax shield. For CB, thirty-seven feet long should work just fine. If you are not good at soldering, just use alligator clips or even clothespins.

Ben

wow thanks so much guys. I have been into amateur radio for years but don't know much about setup. Heck I got the equipment and antennas and antennas are definitely a weak point for me. I love the list of area clubs, there are some very close to where I live here in Columbus. Once I get a little more versed on things, I'd love to be able to do stuff with my military radios. Any other good advice or ideas I welcome them all. Got the RF 10 cleaned up tonight, now to try to make a battery for it.

Regards Simon