Thread: Need antenna recommendations

Default Need antenna recommendations

New tech here, passed by exam on Saturday. Bought an SDRPlay RSP1A and Diamond D220R antenna. I'm finding out now that the antenna is not as multi-band as I thought it was, and an end-fed wire was recommended to me for HF bands. For receiving only, isn't there a wide band antenna I can use for all frequencies?

The D220R is for 100 to 1600MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
    For receiving only, isn't there a wide band antenna I can use for all frequencies?
    Most of the amateur radio bands are fairly close to being harmonically related: 1,8 MHz/160 m, 3,5 MHz/80 m, 7 MHz/40 m, 14 MHz/20 m and 28 MHz/10 m, so you can just string out a length of wire at one of these lengths. It's not perfect, but you should get something. But bear in mind, the HF bands can be rather fickle and event with a perfect antenna for that band, you might not hear anything at all.
    As well as the long wire, you could knock up a simple antenna tuning unit** from a large variable capacitor and coil of stripped down mains cable and see what you can get.

**Yes, yes, I know some folk consider these to be instruments of the devil, but hey, you're just starting out and it's a good place to start*learning how adding things work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
    isn't there a wide band antenna I can use for all frequencies?
    Nope

Multi-band antennas are a compromise at best and even single-band antennas are usually resonant at one frequency.

Most of the signal a really good VHF/UHF antenna collects is wasted by poor coax.

A decent run of Heliax or H100 (or similar) might cost as much as the whole station, but is worth it.

Get your discone up as high as possible and feed it with some nice coax, then you'll start pulling in signals...
    Last edited by 5B4AJB; Tue 14th Aug 2018 at 04:23.