Thread: Question regarding airborne operation

Question Question regarding airborne operation

I just recently received my Technician License, and I was wondering if there are any rules/regulations regarding airborne operation? I'm a private pilot, so I was thinking about taking a portable up on one of my next flights, and giving it a shot. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

In Europe, it's prohibited - you'll have to check your license for the U.S.

it is legal here... on the ham bands of course.
    We have several pilots here in the Houston area who are hams, and they do a bit of operating from time to time... some of them just use an ht.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    In Europe, it's prohibited - you'll have to check your license for the U.S.
    It's country by country: In the UK, it is forbidden, but in Finland, you must have permission from the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (TraFi) and the pilot of the aircraft.

on commercial flights here you can not do it, but private pilots can.

Who are you going to talk to?

I can hear 40+ repeaters at my QTH, and yet not hear much if anything all day long, except the repeater identify from time to time unless there is a net...

Would be a perfectly good waste of airplane fuel to fly just for the purpose of wanting to play FM....

Maybe if you tried VHF SSB during a contest you could find people to work, but then you would have to sign aeronautical mobile, and i don't know how it would count for grids and stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post

I can hear 40+ repeaters at my QTH, and yet not hear much if anything all day long, except the repeater identify from time to time unless there is a net...

Would be a perfectly good waste of airplane fuel to fly just for the purpose of wanting to play FM....

Maybe if you tried VHF SSB during a contest you could find people to work, but then you would have to sign aeronautical mobile, and i don't know how it would count for grids and stuff...

Well, as a private pilot, most of the flying I do is just for fun. I figured I'd take a mobile up, and just see if I can make any contacts. If I don't, so be it. If I do, well then I think that's pretty cool.

pretty much everyone?

Talking

pretty much everyone?
    Brilliant!

pretty much everyone?
    The FM Scene in Cypress must be much different than what it is in The USA - because where I live, because most FM 2m repeaters here are cliquish..

Unless they know who you are - and want to talk to you, there is no one to talk to - period!

Most of the newer hams are relegated to a handheld radio that doesn't talk anywhere.. To protect their batteries, they only turn them on 5 minutes before a net, they give their ( No Traffic ) and then they quickly turn them back off.

Even the older, what should be more knowledgeable hams, doesn't want to be bothered with a 50w mobile, or putting up antennas or operating anything more than ham walkie talkie - like a cell phone...

All that is left is the scanner listeners, that sits and listens to their analog police scanners - like they are going to miss something if they don't have it turned on all the time....

Even then it goes back to the clique and not replying unless it is someone they know or someone they want to talk to.... There is no DX on 2m FM where I live.... Most people only programs in their one or two local repeater frequencies and that is it...

The FM Scene in Cypress must be much different than what it is in The USA - because where I live, because most FM 2m repeaters here are cliquish..

Unless they know who you are - and want to talk to you, there is no one to talk to - period!

Most of the newer hams are relegated to a handheld radio that doesn't talk anywhere.. To protect their batteries, they only turn them on 5 minutes before a net, they give their ( No Traffic ) and then they quickly turn them back off.

Even the older, what should be more knowledgeable hams, doesn't want to be bothered with a 50w mobile, or putting up antennas or operating anything more than ham walkie talkie - like a cell phone...

All that is left is the scanner listeners, that sits and listens to their analog police scanners - like they are going to miss something if they don't have it turned on all the time....

Even then it goes back to the clique and not replying unless it is someone they know or someone they want to talk to.... There is no DX on 2m FM where I live.... Most people only programs in their one or two local repeater frequencies and that is it...
    Aren't you ever out of the "get off my lawn" mode?

Our local 70cm repeater certainly isn't inhabited by a clique. Sure there are times when no-one is about but most times I can make a call and get a response. There are a few locals who are regulars, but it's quite normal to chat to someone who's 'new', or just passing through the area.

When I had the 2m collinear up (and the 'Slim Jim' before that one, for that matter), I could access several of the South East's 2m repeaters and there were plenty of users then. I can hear them now when I'm mobile, but not enough TX power to reach the further ones, and although quieter, they can get pretty busy and there seems to be none of the 'I don't know you so I'm not talking to you.' attitude.

Could it be that we're just more open over here, or more polite to our fellow hams? I don't know the answer to that one!
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG0CCX View Post
    Our local 70cm repeater certainly isn't inhabited by a clique. Sure there are times when no-one is about but most times I can make a call and get a response. There are a few locals who are regulars, but it's quite normal to chat to someone who's 'new', or just passing through the area.

When I had the 2m collinear up (and the 'Slim Jim' before that one, for that matter), I could access several of the South East's 2m repeaters and there were plenty of users then. I can hear them now when I'm mobile, but not enough TX power to reach the further ones, and although quieter, they can get pretty busy and there seems to be none of the 'I don't know you so I'm not talking to you.' attitude.

Could it be that we're just more open over here, or more polite to our fellow hams? I don't know the answer to that one!
    It could be.
    For whatever reason, general civility over here has taken a holiday and its been that way for far too long. Not surprising, that mentality has infected ham radio too. I'm unsure what it will take to change that, but it certainly needs to be changed before the point of no return is breached.

To be honest, amateur radio seems pretty dead over here.
    I joined the local society for a couple of years and went to a couple of Christmas dinners and a H.F. event.

There is always JOTA every year and contests and what not, but as for regular club meetings this side of the island, not much.

Same goes for repeaters, unless you catch someone on a repeater going to work, there's no much out here on VHF.
    Plenty of Arabic from across the water, but a lot of callsign-less stations...