Thread: Best Handheld within $250 (Good reception and transmit quality)

Default Best Handheld within $250 (Good reception and transmit quality)

Dear Members,

I have read through different forum still unable to decide which Hand held to purchase. Yaseu Ft-60R is in my list but still wanted to get advice what you be the best hand held ham radio within max budget of $250. My priority is good reception and transmission quality rather then other features as rugged,water proof. basically my required use this rig indoor to have qso through my local repeater. I have woxun kg-uv8D but the problem is this particular rig is not able to hit the repeater from my room but I am able to hit clearly from my balcony. I hired my friends Kenwoon TH-F6 I was able to have QSO with it inside my room but had choppy copy either side.

I understand an external antenna might help but I would be happy if any of the expert member can suggest a handheld rig which is withing $250 and have reception and transmission quality. I am OK to spend another $50 for whip antenna to replace the stock antenna of the handheld.

Thank you.

Your problem seems to be an antenna one, rather than a radio one.

The Yaesu FT-60 is a great radio, probably better RX sensitivity, but I expect the TX power will be similar to your Wouxun.

Kind regards,

Phil

agreed, a quality HT is still an HT. The radio is not your problem. Get your antenna situation resolved, and then see if you need a better radio.
    Last edited by Obed; Tue 7th Aug 2018 at 13:18. Reason: typo

Understood The antenna is a problem Deciding to buy Diamonf SRH 77CA any other model does anyone advice. Also any other suggestion other than Yaesu FT-60R

I have the Diamond SRH701, but I doubt it would make that much difference indoors. I don’t believe the 6dB gain quoted for the one you mentioned.

There are a few roof rack mounts you can buy, which you could connect to your balcony, then attach a mobile aerial.

Something similar to this (check the dimensions):-

https://www.diamondantenna.net/k540km.html

Or you could use a mag mount.

Then a mobile aerial similar to this (a few companies make a copy of the 770):-

https://www.diamondantenna.net/nr770ha.html

I like the FT-60, and there are a lot of cheap ones around.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hi,

What about building low power home brew repeater and then installing it somewhere in my balcony. So that I can freely roam about with my HT. If you think its feasible. Would you mind providing a circuit diagram for the same.

Not sure how you would do this as most repeaters are duplex.

You could do this with simplex repeaters by using a mobile radio that does crossband repeat. However, every time you wish to change frequency you’d have to go to the mobile and change the settings.

I think you are trying find a very complicated solution to a problem you have little control over due to your equipment and location.

Another solution may be to set your radio with a computer on the balcony, then use something like Ham Radio Deluxe to control it from another computer (or Windows tablet) from elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Phil

The most effective and simplest way to do what you want (as I understand it), to be able to walk around your place indoors and work the local repeater with your HT has been suggested. Use and outside antenna connected to a rig that will crossband with your HT.
    I have that issue in my office warehouse. I have an antenna mounted on the roof of my office with an Icom 2730 in my office. I have a cheap Wouxun KG-UV8D HT that I use when I want to walk around the office or be out in my warehouse and catch one of the daily nets on the repeaters in my area. My office and warehouse is a metal building and affects comms tremendously. Crossbanding eliminates the issue. The repeaters are close enough that if I step outside the HT works fine by itself.

In may antenna tests, it really wasn't a case of any of the antennas having lots of gain, but rather being good at any frequency. The ones that did have a bit of gain, were worse once you move away from the centre of the design frequency. None of the antennas were wonderful, most pretty poor and some dire. I have an FT60 as well as loads of cheapo radios and in my hire stock some very expensive ones - none perform better in any way other than on the test rig - the better quality ones reject co-channel interference better, and don't get annoyed by strong local signals. Their physical construction is more solid, and the operation system can be simpler to use. I really cannot say any let me hit a repeater differently - which is a shame because that would be nice.