Thread: Newbie listening with antenna question

Default Newbie listening with antenna question

I'm new, not yet licensed and trying to listen to different bands while camping in the RV. Using an Icom 7100 with a 102" whip about 12' off the ground. I'm finding that all I am getting for activity is on the 40 meter band. Is that because that is the only activity out there now or is it a limitation of my antenna?

well, short answer yes your antenna is limited for now. An antenna tunner would make it usable for more bands.
    I have 4 of those radios, one each in 3 vehicles and use one in my office at work.
    I did run one of those for a short time with a 102" whip with an antenna tunner and a ugly balun mounted at the base of the whip.
    I could work 10 thru 40 meters with it, it was quite inefficient but was usable.
    I use a tarheel screwdriver with all 4 of them now and 10 through 80 meters do well.

It could be propagation too, lower frequency radio signals tend to prefer the evening & night time.

Try listening around the bands at the greyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    well, short answer yes your antenna is limited for now. An antenna tunner would make it usable for more bands.
    I have 4 of those radios, one each in 3 vehicles and use one in my office at work.
    I did run one of those for a short time with a 102" whip with an antenna tunner and a ugly balun mounted at the base of the whip.
    I could work 10 thru 40 meters with it, it was quite inefficient but was usable.
    I use a tarheel screwdriver with all 4 of them now and 10 through 80 meters do well.
    So antenna tuners help for receiving also? I thought they were just for transmitting.

yes they help with RX too. Lots of folks do their initial tuning with RX, adjust until you get the strongest signal (even if just noise) and then start the TX for final tune.