Thread: 20 years and the vertical antenna mystery.

Default 20 years and the vertical antenna mystery.

Hi Guys, can anyone help an old amateur who thinks he is losing his mind.

It has been 20 years since I last used a radio, although I have alway had a licence since 1991, house moving etc has not permitted me to set up the radios and get back on the airways.

However I am a little confused about something that does not make sense to me, i purchased a Sigma Antenna SE-HF-X80 VERTICAL RADIAL FREE ANTENNA 80 TO 6 METRES, so I stuck it on a pole, so the thing is now 40 feet in the air, and connected my Kenwood TS 570D, nothing, cant hear a thing, so i thought I would check the coax, no short and a good reading from plug to plug, Next I tested the coax connected to the antenna and I am getting a dead short? is this correct?

I can't remember if this is good or bad, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Den

All I can say is that the only balanced antenna is a dipole. yes there is ways to trick an end fed wire to act like a dipole antenna, but it's performance and range and bandwidth will always be compromised.

What ever type of antenna you have, bought, or found, isn't a reliable source if you want to play ham radio on anything more than 10 or 15 meters..

If there is a local two way radio shop, you could take your rig over and have it checked out on a service monitor.. Components do go bad, just sitting around, not being used.

Next step would be to check power output - you do have a VSWR meter and dummy load - don't you?

Once power output has been determined, then you can move the dummy load out to the far end of the coax and check it again.

If you see full power, little loss on say 80m CW at the far end of the coax, then you can rule out the coax, all that is left then is the antenna..

Do you have any other antennas? Try 40 / 75 meters at night.. There are times when there is radio black outs - where you won't hear anything on HF, but those events are few and far between and they do not last long - maybe just a couple of hours.

Keep trying.. Find Yourself An Elmer.. Join a local club.. Get some more experienced people to help you!

https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/amateu...f-antenna.html

The antenna can be grounded
    if the user experiences excessive local static noise, but as the UNUN is DC
    grounded: grounding will not affect the tuning ratios.
    73 de Biton - m0wao - echolink 633710
    Icom IC-7000
    dx-code

Default Sorted I thin k

Thanks guys for the help, I think I have it sorted now.

73s

Den

What was the problem/solution Den?

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Sorted I think

Hi Ian

I did a couple of things, first I grounded the pole the antennas are on, then I lifted them about 6ft higher, so far it seems to have had the desired effect, however, being at almost sea level and surrounded by giant sycamore trees I can hear Italy and Moldavia? however they can't hear me probably because I have a vertical. will be getting a half wave G5 next week so will see what happens then.

Den

If your set up ends up like mine was - a 'Silver Rod' half wave vertical CB antenna, shortened slightly for 10m, and a 1/2 size G5RV - then you should be good to go HF-ing. My old log book shows QSOs on everything from 40m on the vertical, mainly UK and near continent, to 10, 15 and 20m on the G5RV, as far away as Japan, S.America, Canada and S.Africa. Around 100W from the TS930S, its auto ATU having no issues with vertical or wire antennas.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com