Thread: FT-101EX Bandswitch Knob

Default FT-101EX Bandswitch Knob

I've recently been given a Yaesu FT-101EX. It looks to be in fairly good condition, but dusty. My major problem is the bandswitch knob. When I picked up the transceiver, it fell off. Since the bandswitch will go all the way around, I have no idea what band it is set to so I can refasten the knob.

Is there a way to tell? I have the covers off and the bottom plate, but trying to figure out the position of the wafer switches is doomed to failure. My only though is to simply fire it up and listen for QRN at each switch position and which ones are silent. This should give me the bands with crystals installed. Will this method work?

I have not yet turned the radio on as it needs some de-spidering and at least a good blowdown with a can of duster.

Bill

Try this for basic alignment...

Try what? I see nothing.

Bill

Touching the word “this” activates the link.

Also took me a few looks, I do admit.

Kind regards,

Phil

Ah. I see the link now. I wear trifocals and have terrible vision so the pale blue against the white was hard to see.

I went out to the rig on my workbench and now see it does have a WWV/JJY position. So, I assume I set the dial to 000 and rotate the switch (and peak the preselector) until I hear WWV. I hadn't noticed that switch position before, only that the knob had fallen off.

Thanks,

Bill

Update: I created a power plug from push-on connectors and covered them with a lid for safety. It took me a while to find the JJY/WWV band (mostly because WWV is very weak here in Ohio) but now the bandswitch is in the correct position. Terrible reception on all bands compared to even my SP-600 and especialy my Drake 2B. Noisy switches and pots as well. According to my scope, there is a tiny bit of hum on the transmitted signal so I'm guessing the PS Caps might need replacing.

Thanks to responders.

Bill

Why do you think that it was FREE in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    Why do you think that it was FREE in the first place!
    Possibly because the owner is now a Silent Key?

Bill