Thread: Multiple RTL2832U dongles in one software defined radio

Default Multiple RTL2832U dongles in one software defined radio

Hi,
    Would it be possible to hack multiple RTL2832U software defined radio dongles into one radio, so that the visual bandwith is longer?
    Cheers, Camerart.

What do you mean by saying "visual bandwidth" ?

Quote Originally Posted by ljube View Post
    What do you mean by saying "visual bandwidth" ?
    Hi I,
    I may be getting my terms mixed up, but what I mean is If I use 'say' SDR# with a dongle 'say' RTL2832U the screen shows a frequency range from one side to the other. If I had two dongles would it be possible to make a wider range on the screen.
    C.

Still not with you making a wider range on the screen? Do you mean that you want to see more of the spectrum than the maximum zoom out? The bad news is that one running SDR can only talk to one dongle. I'm not sure if you could run a separate instance of SDR that's running to a different dongle? I've not even tried to run two instances of SDR at the same time? Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Still not with you making a wider range on the screen? Do you mean that you want to see more of the spectrum than the maximum zoom out? The bad news is that one running SDR can only talk to one dongle. I'm not sure if you could run a separate instance of SDR that's running to a different dongle? I've not even tried to run two instances of SDR at the same time? Have you?
    Hi P,
    An expensive SDR has a wide spectrum, so many signals can be viewed at the same time. I wondered if multiple dongles could make a cheap version. I'm sure it's possible, but I have never done it.
    C

Interesting concept.