Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

Hi, So far I am looking at all the questions for an FCC technicians license. I figured if it is easy to get why not go for it and purchase a personal radio.

The personal radio i'm looking at purchasing here anytime soon is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warra...ywords=baofeng

Also, I have job that is looking to get a set of radios for communicating during work. I looked at these.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-88...ywords=baofeng

So, I would like to know if for me personally the UV-5R V2+ is a good radio and what are benefits of it over the BF-888s

Also are the BF-888s good for my job and do the workers need a license to use them?

To answer the last part of your question, some of the first things you should learn about amateur radio are the licensing conditions. These will tell you that you and everyone you talk to on amateur radio has to hold the appropriate licence. So, no, your fellow workers could not legally use them. There are other types of comms available for this, depending on where you are in the world. I'm not familiar with the US types.

The Baofengs are a cheap way of getting on to the 2m and 70cm bands. They come in for much criticism from some quarters and there's not doubt that if you pay more money for a similar radio from a company like Yaesu, you will get a much better quality radio. But experience with my two Baofengs is good. They do the job I want them to do. If I lose or break one, I won't cry, a replacement will cost less than a meal out for two - perhaps much less!

As for being easy to get the Tech licence, yes it is. I got my son, who has no knowledge or interest in radio, to answer an exam's worth of questions from the sample pools on line. We did it twice and he passed both times. Common sense, a little basic tech knowledge and a few guesses! Too easy? That's a debate for another thread but at least it's a way to get people into the hobby. But the hobby isn't just about passing a test or two and going on the air, it's about learning (slowly re-learning in my case) what radio is about. You're in the right place to ask questions.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post
    Hi, So far I am looking at all the questions for an FCC technicians license. I figured if it is easy to get why not go for it and purchase a personal radio.

Also, I have job that is looking to get a set of radios for communicating during work. I looked at these.

So, I would like to know if for me personally the UV-5R V2+ is a good radio and what are benefits of it over the BF-888s

Also are the BF-888s good for my job and do the workers need a license to use them?
    Its called Amateur Radio, not ham walkie talkie..

A Walkie Talkie should be the last radio you buy, not the first..

Walkie Talkies are a poor substitute for an actual radio..

Yes it might allow you to talk to someone - if you can hit the local repeater, if the local repeater has a population of active hams, and if the repeater is linked to other repeaters - to increase its range.

More than likely, what you will find is that there is no one to talk to, or you will quickly get tired of talking to The Geritol Crowd that hangs out on the repeater.

Or it will just be a couple of LIDS that doesn't know anything and doesn't want to learn how to do anything other than talk like it was a party line telephone..

You should get a license because you want to be a licensed amateur = not because it might get you equipment you couldn't use if you didn't have a license..

whether or not a handheld is the first radio a newbie should buy could be quite the debate, but not one I have any interest in participating in.
    I believe that the world of amateur radio is extremely varied and has many different facets that people are attracted to by what suits them personally...
    but the radios you mentioned would not be suitable for use by your work...as has been mentioned business radios and frequencies exist and have their own rules and regulations...even if all the guys at work had licenses, they still could not use their amateur radios for work communications...
    sounds like if you are really interested you should contact a few local hams, maybe a club in your area and find out what amateur radio is all about, the rules, the customs and traditions...

Default Baofeong UV-5R V2+

I just now purchased this radio.

I saw that FRS frequencies do not require to have a FCC License. I am planning on getting a FCC technician license hopefully by the end of July.
    During the moment am I permitted to use that Baofeng radio and transmit on the FRS frequencies?

the radio you purchased is not legal to use on the FRS frequencies...radios are "type" accepted for certain uses...a radio being capable of TX on a frequency does not make it legal to use on that frequency.

Default Baofeong UV-5R V2+

Okay the radio arrived today at my house. I brought over a friends house and went to radioreference.com for a list of frequencies around my area. I live in the DFW area so that was my area of search. my local police department is the Fort Worth PD. I tried there frequencies which was in the 800s and the radio immediately said canceled. The frequency is either blocked or the radio cant go to those frequencies. Any suggestions on what channels/frequencies I can add in my area that I can actually listen to and talk to after getting my license?

Again, the radio is not Part Type Acceptable for any radio service..

Your best bet is to continue using it as a scanner, if you want to hear more - you need to buy a better radio, one that has a connector that you can connect to TV Cable Coax or RG 8 type coax and some sort of outdoors antenna..

The stock antenna is a piece of crap and you won't hear much, if anything, especially if your local stuff is all digital...

Kudo's to Obed - he is right on the money with the comment, just because it will transmit on a frequency, doesn't mean that it is LEGAL to transmit on that frequency - without a license or with that radio...

Each radio service has it's own set of rules, that is the number 1 thing that getting an amateur radio license teaches you...

ps. - it is a poor performer on the amateur radio bands with the stock antenna... Not a good substitute for a real ham radio!

Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post

Most other radio services, other than Amateur Radio - requires the license holder to have all of their radios narrow banded, that radio is incapable of being narrow banded to the specifications the FCC made for GMRS, PLMRS, LMRS etc..
    No it is not legal to use them on the other frequencies / bands / radio services...

GMRS has limits - as per the gain of the antenna, the transmit power , the way the antenna is attached - permanently - to the radio for the little Motorola Talkabouts..

Default FRS radios and BaoFeng UV-5RV2+

Okay I went to work yesterday. Me and few guys do security for a local venue on occasional weekends. Usually at most it's just three guys working security. We are looking at radios for just us to use. Obviously most of the guys would not be interested in getting an FCC technician license. I figured a good solution would probably be to purchase FRS radios (That way there is something for them to use right out of the box with no issues). Me, I still like my Baofeng. I would like to use it personally and would like to be able to take it to work to use with the FRS radios. I happened to find these FRS radios:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T200...ords=FRS+radio

I know I can connect to them with the BaoFeng. However, they utilize a privacy code feature. Is it possible to still connect to those radios with the BaoFeng if the privacy code feature is in use?

Look up MURS frequencies. You can all use those with the Baofeng and it will be a better radio than any of the FRS garbage.