Thread: IC-7100 internal soundcard vs pc soundcard problem

Default IC-7100 internal soundcard vs pc soundcard problem

Hello,

if the ICOM IC-7100 gets an audio signal from the pc soundcard via an audio connection to DATA2, the 4800bps GMSK signal is correct transmitted to an IC-9100.
    Example for klinke audio connection

If the same signal is send to the IC-7100 via a USB cable to use the internal soundcard, the received signal at the IC-9100 is not correct.
    Example for USB connection

(I tried to attach images with the 'insert image' button and url to show the difference between the two transmissions, but not sure if it worked.)
    I tried different settings for the options in the 'Connectors' menu (like 'USB MOD Level') to fix the USB connection problem, but no success.
    Does anyone has an idea what could be the problem with the USB connection.
    I tried it on ubuntu 16.04 and to be sure, installed the ICOM USB driver on a win 7 pc, which resulted in the same problem.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Best regards

Steffen
    Last edited by Steffen_W; Fri 15th Jun 2018 at 10:05. Reason: Included link to the images

Hello,

I got comparable results while using the IC-9100 to send and the IC-7100 for receiving.
    Any ideas how to fix the USB connection?

Thanks for your time and help.
    Best regards

Steffen

Hi Steffen,
    what was the radio operating mode, USB-D or FM?

Hi Ibtissam,

the radio is operating in FM Data mode.

I tried different settings (like 'USB MOD Level', '9600bps mode', 'DATA MOD' is set to 'USB' to use the input signal from USB-port, ...) to fix the USB connection problem, but no success.
    I tried it on ubuntu 16.04 and to be sure, installed the ICOM USB driver on a win 7 pc, which resulted in the same problem.

how long is the usb cable? it should be as short as possible or signal is disrupted. best

Hi Ibtissam,

the shortest cable has a length of 1m.
    I tried different cables with various length and always get the same result.

Best regards
    Steffen

Dear Steffen,
    When connecting the radio via the USB cable, normally you will see two new USB devices. what options did you choose in the menu setting N 63 for USB2? Also make sure that the squelch is wide open, the attenuator is off, the preamp is off too and keep RF gain to the lowest level. Hope this will solve the problem =)
    Kind regards
    Last edited by Ibtissam; Tue 23rd Apr 2019 at 13:10.

Hi Ibtissam,

I use the USB device with Serial ID 'A' for connection to rigctld to control ptt via tcp connection from SDR, works fine.
    Menu setting N 63 isn't set. I can only choose between 'not set' (-----) or RTTY. Tried different settings for sending and receiving ICOM for the USB2 function and DATA1 function.
    I don't use line out ports nor mic port. Only use USB cable on one ICOM to send and a USB cable on the other ICOM to receive. The receiving part works fine (it's possible to receive without errors, if the sending part doesn't use the USB cable connection, but audio connection from the pc soundcard).
    Squelch is open, att and preamp are off, gain is set to lowest level.

As shown in the first post, it's possible to receive with only USB cable connection, but the received data is wrong
    Same data send via the audio cable connection and received with USB cable connection is correct.

Best regards
    Steffen

Dear Steffen,
    Since you re using 4800 bps data rate, it is considered as low speed data communication. According to the Icom manual, try the following settings

55 USB Audio SQL (Open)
    56 USB Mod Level (40) (Variable to taste, but make sure to carefully adjust it so that the soundcard amplifier is not overdriven and hence get distorted audio)
    57 9600bps Mode OFF
    59 DATA MOD USB
    63 USB2/DATA1 Func [DVdat]
    65 GPS Out OFF

Kind regards
    Last edited by Ibtissam; Tue 23rd Apr 2019 at 13:12.

Hi Ibtissam,

first of all, thanks again for your help.

If I switch 57 9600bps Mode OFF, the communication doesn't work correct, even with the audio connection from pc soundcard.
    63 USB2/DATA1 Func can only be set to [-----] or [RTTY], but not to [DVdat]

So I cannot try your suggested settings.

Best regards
    Steffen