Thread: Greetings from IO90ot-land

Default Greetings from IO90ot-land

Greetings all,

New member signing in from Chichester in West Sussex, England. Have been inactive for getting on close to 20 years now but keen to get back on air... largely interested in 4m and 6m, and currently drooling over the Elecraft KX3.

Mark

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum all the way from some little place called Tangmere!!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

Welcome back to the hobby from just a little further along the coast in Newhaven.

My break away was 25 years but so far I've only managed to get back on 2m and 70cm. 2m DX and HF will take a little longer, but it's only the antennas that are left to sort out.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Welcome back to the hobby.

It’s a long long time since ainwas last in Chichester.

Kind regards,

Phil

welcome back

bear in mind that the KX3 can do 4 meters only with an optional expansion card

all the way from Redhill, Surrey
    73 de Biton - m0wao - echolink 633710
    Icom IC-7000
    dx-code

Many thanks for the welcome

In many respects I feel like a complete newbie after this absence... there are quite a few 'new' modes out there that are looking very alien to me at the moment! Been looking closely at the Elecraft KX3 with the 4m board, very much like the design and form factor over my previous war horse the FT817... seen a few videos of the KX3 in action and I reckon this will go hand in hand quite nicely with our regular camping trips. Now to convince the YL.

...and Pete... how many points do we get for our DX between Tangmere and Hunston then?

I also found myself very much back in newbie-land, but it's all coming back, in stages. Will I ever be as good at the electronics as I was back then? Probably not, but I'm sure I'll have a shot a building the odd bits and pieces. As for the new modes and bands, all in good time for me. I want to get back to simple DX on 2m and HF first.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Tangmere, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by G6PMN View Post
    Many thanks for the welcome

...and Pete... how many points do we get for our DX between Tangmere and Hunston then?
    It will be a very rare point if you catch me on 2M from home!! (more use required)
    BUT, you could get 4 points with a stinger if you catch me driving through Hunston on a Monday to or from Selsey Boathouse!!
    Pete - 2EFVL
    The QRM Formally Known As M6PAP!!
    www.selseylifeboats.co.uk
    www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

welcome, it takes me a bit to get what you brits are saying, we speak Texan rather than English here, and the translation takes a bit.
    Have fun in your renewal.