Thread: Overland Antenna for new Kenwood TM-D710G

Default Overland Antenna for new Kenwood TM-D710G

Hey Everyone, this is my first post here... Ive had my Technicians class license for about 25 years but last 12 years Ive been kind of out of the circle after moving here to south Florida from North Texas and starting a new business.. anyway, Im currently building up my land rover Discovery 2 as an overland Vehicle and also some fun APRS as I learn more about it... also in a few weeks while helping some friends get their Technician license, Im going to go ahead and get my General since Ill be there... but wont be doing much HF til I have more funding as mostly ill be setup for local and even emergency hurricane communications if necessary...

I just ordered a new Kenwood TM-D710GA in hopes this will be a nice setup but i need an antenna.. any suggestions? also antenna mounting suggestions?
    i havent hooked up a mobile rig in years so im not sure what Ill need extra that the radio doesnt come with...

THANKS!
    KB5TQT

I have Comet B-10NMO antennas on all my vehicles, not because they are the greatest but because of the size versus performance. I run TM-V71a radios in all the cars. You'll get a performance boost if you drill the hole on top versus a mag mount. Oh, be sure and set the SWR on the antenna, they don't come pre-set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
    I have Comet B-10NMO antennas on all my vehicles, not because they are the greatest but because of the size versus performance. I run TM-V71a radios in all the cars. You'll get a performance boost if you drill the hole on top versus a mag mount. Oh, be sure and set the SWR on the antenna, they don't come pre-set.
    ok thanks ! Ive been looking at that Comet SSB-1 i think it is... thats kind of the rubber ducky style about 24" dual bander... i do have an ok budget for this setup but I saw that even though this antenna is only about 50 bucks its pretty decent... what do ya thnk? Im probably ging to have to mount on my safari rack on top or the hood...

I like it,but my experience has been that rubber antennas have a short lifespan when mounted on a vehicle because of whipping in the wind. Also, go with the NMO mounts as they are more waterproof/

I like it,but my experience has been that rubber antennas have a short lifespan when mounted on a vehicle because of whipping in the wind. Also, go with the NMO mounts as they are more waterproof/
    what would you consider short? its not too expensive so if I got a couple years, that would be fine... as Ill probably want to upgrade or change something before then anyway....

Depends on how much you drive it and how fast My first one didn't make the round trip from SC to FL. Second only lasted about a year driving back and forth to work, though it was on a motorcycle.

Depends on how much you drive it and how fast My first one didn't make the round trip from SC to FL. Second only lasted about a year driving back and forth to work, though it was on a motorcycle.
    do you have another suggestion?

Just depends. Going through the woods a lot? Then a steel whip is about the only choice. Parking garages? The B-10 comes to mind. Need a bit more gain? Comet SSB is a decent choice. If you do GMRS or other out of band work then the CA-2x4SR is a good choice. As you can see, there are a lot of factors involved in selecting which antenna is right for your unique application. I know all of my suggestions are Comet antennas, but they have proven themselves to work for me and to last. Larsen would be my next choice but they are professional grade and expensive.

Just depends. Going through the woods a lot? Then a steel whip is about the only choice. Parking garages? The B-10 comes to mind. Need a bit more gain? Comet SSB is a decent choice. If you do GMRS or other out of band work then the CA-2x4SR is a good choice. As you can see, there are a lot of factors involved in selecting which antenna is right for your unique application. I know all of my suggestions are Comet antennas, but they have proven themselves to work for me and to last. Larsen would be my next choice but they are professional grade and expensive.
    Well I went ahead and ordered the Comet NMO SB680 steel with spring that I will mount on bull bar up front.. its kind of low but i dont be off in the woods.. its mostly on land and some mild offroad trails ... nothing nasty and muddy... Hope thats the right one! i asked the comapny I bought radio and I was prepared to buy diamond or larsen but they seemed to also think the comet was good! THANKS!