Thread: Need Help With Grandpas Old Ham Antenna

Default Need Help With Grandpas Old Ham Antenna

So long story short.... My grandfather is in a retirement home and my grandma is going to have the backyard redone. Grandpa has a 30-35 foot 4 element antenna with winch for rising and lowering cemented in the backyard and in the way of the remodel. I need to get rid of it. I was hoping this forum would be able to inform me of what its worth and what would be the best way to remove and sell or other ways to get rid of the antenna. He also has a small 3 meter antenna i need to remove and get rid of as well. Located in San Diego, California. Here are some pictures

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/bak...brary/Grandpas

look up amateur radio clubs in your area and contact them. They would more likely know a ham or two who might be interested in the tower and antenna(s).
    You might work a deal where they come take all that down for you and take the tower and antenna as payment.

The Liability is such that unless a person has a boom truck, tools, and insurance, that it isn't worth much if anything at all..

I had several towers offered to me - FREE, if I took them down!

By the time I found some reliable help, they were already gone!

Good Help Is Hard To Find.

Just because someone belongs to a buddy club, doesn't mean that they are knowledgeable or trustworthy. All it takes is one accident and they sue, and you could end up with property damage, a hole in your roof, broken windows etc..

Quote Originally Posted by grandpasoldstuff View Post
    So long story short.... My grandfather is in a retirement home and my grandma is going to have the backyard redone. Grandpa has a 30-35 foot 4 element antenna with winch for rising and lowering cemented in the backyard and in the way of the remodel. I need to get rid of it. I was hoping this forum would be able to inform me of what its worth and what would be the best way to remove and sell or other ways to get rid of the antenna. He also has a small 3 meter antenna i need to remove and get rid of as well. Located in San Diego, California. Here are some pictures

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/bak...brary/Grandpas
    I'm in San Diego also. What part of town? If my club isn't interested, I could certainly put you on contact with someone that would be.

The big problem is that the value is very limited, because the post is buried in concrete and if you can get it out intact and in good condition, the tower has value, without it, it's scrap. Unless you can find somebody who really wants it, the value is really small. My own radio club many years ago, got three towers donated, and they collected them all, using volunteer labour, volunteer transport and volunteer storage. They never got one up in the air. Aluminium has scrap value, galvanised steel far less so. Contact the local radio club.

The antenna folds down to be worked on. No boom will be required to disassemble. The antenna folds down away from the house so I am not worried about falling and damaging anything. The antenna is located in the Allied Gardens area of San Diego

My brother and I will be pulling it down this weekend... Free for anyone who is willing to pick it up. However,removing the concrete block would be a real pain with out heavy equipment. so I doubt I will be able to remove the concrete block. Unless someone knows some awesome method to remove the concrete block.

If anyone knows some club that would like to accept it or any individuals that would be interested in it please let them know about this post.

Thank you guys for all your advise so far.

That concrete block is the killer reason old towers are so unpopular. If you cannot get the base free of concrete so they can lift it, it will be tricky to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpasoldstuff View Post
    The antenna folds down to be worked on. No boom will be required to disassemble. The antenna folds down away from the house so I am not worried about falling and damaging anything. The antenna is located in the Allied Gardens area of San Diego

My brother and I will be pulling it down this weekend... Free for anyone who is willing to pick it up. However,removing the concrete block would be a real pain with out heavy equipment. so I doubt I will be able to remove the concrete block. Unless someone knows some awesome method to remove the concrete block.

If anyone knows some club that would like to accept it or any individuals that would be interested in it please let them know about this post.

Thank you guys for all your advise so far.
    There is a product for cracking concrete. You drill holes in a grid pattern with a certain space between holes. The stuff expands greatly as it cures, and cracks the concrete. Then you remove the smaller chunks.

It's called something like "Demolition Agent" and can be found here https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECOBUST-...B211/203335351 and here https://www.amazon.com/Dexpan-Demoli.../dp/B000BRQ9A2
    This is for general information about the stuff in case someone needs a solution.
    Last edited by essbee; Sun 20th May 2018 at 22:50. Reason: found info about product

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by essbee View Post
    There is a product for cracking concrete. You drill holes in a grid pattern with a certain space between holes. The stuff expands greatly as it cures, and cracks the concrete. Then you remove the smaller chunks.

It's called something like "Demolition Agent" and can be found here https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECOBUST-...B211/203335351 and here https://www.amazon.com/Dexpan-Demoli.../dp/B000BRQ9A2
    This is for general information about the stuff in case someone needs a solution.

Will definitely try this method

Default Thank you everyone

Antenna mast is down. Was not complicated to to disassemble. They really don't make things like they used too. Simple and built to last. Almost no rust on nuts and bolts very easy to remove. Found out how to use the Transmit/receive directional control.. that still amazingly worked perfectly. Was able to lower antenna lay down remove elements rotate 180 degrees then remove other 2 elements. Removed the mast pole from base. Base pole is still stuck in the concrete as rust and corrosion would not let it slide out of the foundation collar. Poured a bunch of liquid wrench on it ill try to remove next Sunday. I will use, users "essbee" suggestion to break the concrete and salvage the collar and base pole.

So in the end fully intact 35 foot mast with direction controller, winch for raising and well over 100 feet of wire with connectors. Went into the ham shack and disconnected all wires and pulled them out intact.

I would really hate to see this antenna go to a scrap yard. Please let everyone you know It will be ready to go next Sunday 5/28/18.

Seriously thanks for all the help. Everyone in this forum has been a great help.

Default Antenna Is Down

Antenna is down will be removing the base and saving mount this weekend with jack hammer and user "essbee"'s advise.
    Ready to pick up 5/28. Rotational receiver/ transmitter controller still works. Winches still work. Basically intact except a nut and washer that ran away into the grass.
    Available for free to anyone who is willing to pick it up.