Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balun Mystery ...

Quote Originally Posted by W5DXP View Post
    Our modern receivers have a dynamic range in the ballpark of 100 dB so for your statement to be true, the "simple dipole" would have to be 100 dB better than a G5RV. W8JI ran some A/B comparisons on the air between a G5RV and a "simple dipole". The hams on the listening end preferred the simple dipole even when W8JI lied about which antenna he was using. If he told the listeners that the resonant dipole he was using was a G5RV, they gave it a bad report. If he told the listeners that the G5RV he was using was a resonant dipole, they gave him a good report. Sounds like that's what you would do.

I'm an educated person (an Electrical Engineer). I use a ZS6BKW antenna which is a close relative of a G5RV and I don't use a tuner. I've managed to get my SWR below 2:1 on all HF Bands without a tuner. Here's how.

http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

Here's a photo of what happens when I switch that antenna from 40m to 20m on PSK31 without changing anything but the frequency.

Attachment 1017
    And as I said, the G5RV wasn't designed to be used with a modern transceiver or a cheap tuner, and it sure as heck wasn't designed to be put up 20 or 30' off the ground.
    Which is the problem of 90% of the cheap hams - including me, who lives on a postage sized lot and doesn't own a tree!

Quote Originally Posted by W5DXP View Post
    Our modern receivers have a dynamic range in the ballpark of 100 dB so for your statement to be true, the "simple dipole" would have to be 100 dB better than a G5RV. W8JI ran some A/B comparisons on the air between a G5RV and a "simple dipole". The hams on the listening end preferred the simple dipole even when W8JI lied about which antenna he was using. If he told the listeners that the resonant dipole he was using was a G5RV, they gave it a bad report. If he told the listeners that the G5RV he was using was a resonant dipole, they gave him a good report. Sounds like that's what you would do.

I'm an educated person (an Electrical Engineer). I use a ZS6BKW antenna which is a close relative of a G5RV and I don't use a tuner. I've managed to get my SWR below 2:1 on all HF Bands without a tuner. Here's how.

http://www.w5dxp.com/ZS6BKW80/ZS6BKW80.HTM

Here's a photo of what happens when I switch that antenna from 40m to 20m on PSK31 without changing anything but the frequency.

Attachment 1017
    Hopefully you aren't running full power when you operate digital modes - that is a real good way to damage the finals..

Remember it is not SWR but VSWR - since the only thing we are concerned with is the VOLTAGE!

Increase the transmit power and you also increase the Voltage.. You only need about 20 - 25 watts - MAX to operate PSK 31 SSB...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    Hopefully you aren't running full power when you operate digital modes - that is a real good way to damage the finals..
    If you could read the power meter in my previous posting you would see that I am running 35 watts (PSK31).

Remember it is not SWR but VSWR - since the only thing we are concerned with is the VOLTAGE!
    In an EM wave, one cannot have an E-field without an H-field. Voltage SWR = Current SWR = Power SWR.

Increase the transmit power and you also increase the Voltage...
    The current also increases by the same percentage as the voltage.