Thread: HELP Please with Digi

Default HELP Please with Digi

Being an oldie I really haven't a clue about 'Digi'
    I have built a MCR Digi 8 USB interface.
    Now what ?
    I guess I need a program for the PC is that right
    Some one give me a clue as to what to do next
    Thanks
    Fred G1SCY

yep, if you have an interface, you will need operating software.
    There are several versions of freeware out there.
    Fldigi and digipan are a couple folks use.
    There are some available for purchase as well, I tried a very popular one that cost me $100 (U.S.)and while it is decent and has a lot of great features, for me the free fldigi does the job much better... has all the features I really need and is much more intuitive to learn and use. I am new to the digi world myself... just started this last January.

Depending on the digital mode there are a few different free software programs. If you want to use the latest, and some say greatest mode, try FT8. No real QSO's though. Search for WSJT-X. You'll find much info on JT65, PSK31, FT8, etc etc.

As Obed has said, you don't need to spend a lot of money on digital modes, but you do need a transceiver that is equiped to operate digital modes - has a built in sound card, or you need an external sound card - such as a Signalink.

You need a working computer with at least Windows XP, but if possible, I would use Windows 7 - 10 - if you like Windows, or you can use Linix if that is all that you have..

Start out slow, try it out on some slow CW just to get the feel of it, don't transmit - that is cheating, just listen.

Then move up to RTTY - if you can find someone - since it has a very distinct signal - two traces on the waterfall.

Then you can look for some PSK 31 - it has one trace on the waterfall..

Don't forget to turn on the RXID / TXID, that will help tune in your sound card to the exact frequency the other operators are on, as long as they have their RXID / TXID turned on, most of them are in such a rush to get on the air and are too stupid to know to turn it on and then wonders why no one talks to them.

There is so many modes and so many bandwidths that even I can't figure out what they all are just by looking at them or listening to them.

JT8 and JT65 is for morons that are too stupid to know that you only need to use those modes when the band conditions won't support the faster modes.

Too many morons thinks that just because it is the best for weak signal work, that it automatically is the best for everything..

When you do go to transmit, don't forget to decrease transmitter output to about 1/4th the power level of SSB and turn off the filters and noise blockers and the Processor.
    That is the whole purpose of digital modes, to let the transceiver and the sound card dig the signals out of the noise!

Find someone to help you set up the macro's, and it wouldn't hurt for you to learn manual CW - since the identifier for the RXID will ID at the end of most transmissions in CW..
    That will give you a clue of who is transmitting and what mode they are transmitting on...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    As Obed has said, you don't need to spend a lot of money on digital modes, but you do need a transceiver that is equiped to operate digital modes - has a built in sound card, or you need an external sound card - such as a Signalink.

You need a working computer with at least Windows XP, but if possible, I would use Windows 7 - 10 - if you like Windows, or you can use Linix if that is all that you have..

Start out slow, try it out on some slow CW just to get the feel of it, don't transmit - that is cheating, just listen.

Then move up to RTTY - if you can find someone - since it has a very distinct signal - two traces on the waterfall.

Then you can look for some PSK 31 - it has one trace on the waterfall..

Don't forget to turn on the RXID / TXID, that will help tune in your sound card to the exact frequency the other operators are on, as long as they have their RXID / TXID turned on, most of them are in such a rush to get on the air and are too stupid to know to turn it on and then wonders why no one talks to them.

There is so many modes and so many bandwidths that even I can't figure out what they all are just by looking at them or listening to them.

JT8 and JT65 is for morons that are too stupid to know that you only need to use those modes when the band conditions won't support the faster modes.

Too many morons thinks that just because it is the best for weak signal work, that it automatically is the best for everything..

When you do go to transmit, don't forget to decrease transmitter output to about 1/4th the power level of SSB and turn off the filters and noise blockers and the Processor.
    That is the whole purpose of digital modes, to let the transceiver and the sound card dig the signals out of the noise!

Find someone to help you set up the macro's, and it wouldn't hurt for you to learn manual CW - since the identifier for the RXID will ID at the end of most transmissions in CW..
    That will give you a clue of who is transmitting and what mode they are transmitting on...
    I was following this right up to the unnecessary “moron” name calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys are just "that" way.....

I wonder if it's a projection issue....