Thread: New Ham in the US

Default New Ham in the US

Hi there

I received my Tech on February 05 of this year. So far I am having a good time with everything. I was wondering. Do we get an official paper copy of our license? Or is the one they emailed all there is? I thought we do get one but it has been two months so I might be mistaken.

Thanks
    KI7TUT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - if you want a copy of your license, you have to print it out yourself from the web site..

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    No - if you want a copy of your license, you have to print it out yourself from the web site..
    I have had a different experience. I received my Technician last November(2017) and just earned my General a few weeks ago. I received a copy of both authorizations in the mail from the FCC.

There is a preference when you create an account for your FRN number on the FCC website where you can select “Receive Paper Authorizations” as a preference.

However, what was sent is exactly the same as what you can download and print from the website.
    Scott

Thanks! I have already printed it out from the website so I will quit watching the mail for it. If it comes it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    Upgrade, then check the appropriate box. AE7Q.com has a nice certificate generator too. Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Upgrade, then check the appropriate box. AE7Q.com has a nice certificate generator too. Welcome aboard!
    I couldn't agree with you more - the Technician Class License is just an entry class license, not much fun you can have with it compared to a General Class License and HF.. Look for a local club to join and join the ARRL when your finances allows..
    It's a great hobby...

I'm not sure I would say HF is "more" fun, just a different kind of fun. To put a signal 1000 miles away on HF isn't that big a stretch. To do it on 6 or 2 meters or higher, now that takes skills you're not likely to see utilized on 7.200 or 14.313. Since it's more difficult to dx on vhf/uhf, I give the technicians that go beyond FM repeaters major kudos for having the fire for radio, for radios sake, in their bellies. Regardless of where you're playing, play with gusto and have fun learning about the magic that will always be radio.