Thread: RTL SDR Brand new Help me please? What do I need to listen to these frequency’s???

Default RTL SDR Brand new Help me please? What do I need to listen to these frequency’s???

⚠️Warning this contains long text and bad grammar ⚠️

I’m brand new to well basically any radio stuff and I saw these things usb things that can apparently receive any signal?

Anyway I want to buy one soon or now really but I need some help

As I’m new to radios I’m literally knowing nothing but I love listening to radios I just havnt used my time to research things in fact only thing I’ve done i buy uv5r plus and just listen to anything I can so yeah

Anyway questions I have for this and need help on

Firstly how far away do these things pickup? Thant’s just a basic question my main one is this

Can this pickup CB , PMR446 , Airband and same frequency my uv5r can pickup wich is vhf 130 to 174 or somthing and uhf is like 400 to 520 ? Or do I need to buy separate things? Someone said I have to buy new antennas RIGHT.,... HERES THE HELP HERE

So as I said I listed the things I wanna listen to

As I’m used to the uv5r able to pickup uh& and vhf on same antenna someone said I need separate ones for each damn frequency WHATTTT like one for cb one for uhf one for vhf UR KIDDING?

If so

I your help ok as I said I ain’t read up I don’t know my stuf at all on antennas ANYTHING I just want to buy this and listen ok lol

Also someone said to listen to a cb frequency I need a proper setup antenna? BUT I THOUGH these things are made so I can take my laptop out ?...??.?. I wanna be able to take my laptop and listen please ?

So.......... please help me here

If I want to listen to what I listed cb vhf uhf planes all em

If I buy this one will I need different antennas ?

Reason I ask becuase this Rtl comes with 3 ANTENNAS and I want to know with these 3 that come with it can I listen to the things I want to ? Here it is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NES...70_&dpSrc=srch

HOWEVER if 5ese antennas DONT pickup all the things I want to I will buy this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NES...70_&dpSrc=srch

Becuase it’s cheaper YES it only comes with 1 antenna but then as it’s cheaper I can spend a bit more on antennas I need

So do you understand what I mean here ? I just don’t really understand this

I want is a thing that can pickup all the signals I want to listen to portablly lol

Btw I don’t exaclty want to be spending more than well 30 really but ....m

And also my uv5r has a Nagoya 771 if I can like idk use it to get uhf and vhf again idk how this thing works as I literally in my life have only used a uv5r that’s it I don’t know anything

Ok - but you won't like the answer.
    Those little antenna are reasonably OK for VHF and UHF - so you'll get some planes on VHF, some ships on VHF plus the 2m Ham repeaters and stuff like VHF taxis, and on UHF the hams, business radio. Military aircraft come between the two, and the dongle will receive them. The big problem is that these little antennas are designed to stick onto something metal - car roof size, and anything smaller makes them even less good as antennas. As for CB, the fact that it's HF and not VHF or UHF means they're really inefficient so they're a bit of metal in the sky - not a decent antenna.

These dongles work pretty well, but remember they are not scanners, so it's one frequency at a time, though you can store them - but they're essentially manual devices. Withe the compromised antennas, you can hear aircraft at maybe 30,000ft for perhaps 100m, but if it's landing at the local airport 10 miles away, as soon as it is shielded by high ground in between, they vanish, so you might hear them down to 200ft, then nothing, and the control tower might not be heard at all. Signal strength is the key coupled with what is almost line-of-sight transmissions. If you could see it, you can hear it. I have one of those small mag mounts and sitting on the windowsill I can hear my local coastguard a mile away. I cannot hear Gt Yarmouth 8 miles away. I cannot hear the coastguard on his handheld on the beach, about a mile away. I can hear the training centre on their handhelds about 300m away. The dongle on a decent antenna does much, much better.

On CB frequencies and the second antenna - the little mag mount - I have never ever heard anything on CB. There may be nobody local, but I doubt that antenna is any good whatsoever on 27MHz.

If you really don't know anything - you're going to have a tough time. Lots of research to find out where these things are in the frequency spectrum, and then hours of fruitless searching for stuff in your local area.

I don't wish to appear rude - but you seem to want everything, and that's going to disappoint you. Your UV-5 should hopefully have given you lots of useful frequencies. The Nagoya antenna is a bit better than the one on the UV-5, but ONLY at its design frequencies. On hairband for example, even though it's bigger it's still a bit rubbish. Wide band receivers need wide band antennas. Otherwise, you will never know if you are too far away, or there really isn't anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Ok - but you won't like the answer.
    Those little antenna are reasonably OK for VHF and UHF - so you'll get some planes on VHF, some ships on VHF plus the 2m Ham repeaters and stuff like VHF taxis, and on UHF the hams, business radio. Military aircraft come between the two, and the dongle will receive them. The big problem is that these little antennas are designed to stick onto something metal - car roof size, and anything smaller makes them even less good as antennas. As for CB, the fact that it's HF and not VHF or UHF means they're really inefficient so they're a bit of metal in the sky - not a decent antenna.

These dongles work pretty well, but remember they are not scanners, so it's one frequency at a time, though you can store them - but they're essentially manual devices. Withe the compromised antennas, you can hear aircraft at maybe 30,000ft for perhaps 100m, but if it's landing at the local airport 10 miles away, as soon as it is shielded by high ground in between, they vanish, so you might hear them down to 200ft, then nothing, and the control tower might not be heard at all. Signal strength is the key coupled with what is almost line-of-sight transmissions. If you could see it, you can hear it. I have one of those small mag mounts and sitting on the windowsill I can hear my local coastguard a mile away. I cannot hear Gt Yarmouth 8 miles away. I cannot hear the coastguard on his handheld on the beach, about a mile away. I can hear the training centre on their handhelds about 300m away. The dongle on a decent antenna does much, much better.

On CB frequencies and the second antenna - the little mag mount - I have never ever heard anything on CB. There may be nobody local, but I doubt that antenna is any good whatsoever on 27MHz.

If you really don't know anything - you're going to have a tough time. Lots of research to find out where these things are in the frequency spectrum, and then hours of fruitless searching for stuff in your local area.

I don't wish to appear rude - but you seem to want everything, and that's going to disappoint you. Your UV-5 should hopefully have given you lots of useful frequencies. The Nagoya antenna is a bit better than the one on the UV-5, but ONLY at its design frequencies. On hairband for example, even though it's bigger it's still a bit rubbish. Wide band receivers need wide band antennas. Otherwise, you will never know if you are too far away, or there really isn't anything there.

Indeed I do want everything LOL cuz I just like listing to all frequency’s in 1 thing

Well now I’ve said all that �� I’m think of just keeping my uv5r for vhf and uhf

And then uh for cb I’m stuffed and for airband well idk either

Ting is I don’t wanna be spending more than 20£ on stuff LOL I mean to me that’s just idk enough really I got my uv5rPlus for 19£ on eBay and it covers a lot of frequency so yeah seriously seriously wish it COVERED airband and cbs DAMN IT

Could I ask

How far way can I pickup PMR446 people? I can pickup like events like 1m way but I just never ever get a clear signal literally it’s impossible to hear a word on omr446 yet I live up the hills and a country side so it’s in eye view yet pmr446 is bad signal still what?..?

Is it just pmr or somthing ?

Anyway I have a cb radio you know them mini ones right and I hooked it up to a plug socket it works but ONCE AGAIN antenna ���� I have a broken car one LOL

Thing is I don’t drive so I have no car no one will let me put it in their car lol so I have to use it at home plugged in to socket yet how the hell can I get an antenna ? No I cannot get one in the garden that takes up a whole garden tower LOL

I just want an cb antenna that I can take to house to house plug my cab in and idk hold the antenna out the window or somthing and it work ? Is there some sort of portable antenna or somthing I really don’t know but I have the radio?

I tried placing a tv Ariel thingy wire on the end of the antenna connected it actully pickup signal LMFAO BUT yeah it didn’t work really well

And as for airband idk there’s no radios less or £20 for airband I don’t think so I can’t listen to planes I guess we’ll i pickup airport tower not the planes tho? And as for air shows then they always use 120 WHY CANT THE UV5R just just go from 130 to 120 come on it’s only 10 down >;[ so annoying lol

Btw antennas on my uv5r don’t seem to be making difference ? I have an na771 and a NA773 telescopic as I bought it just cause uh.....well it looked cooler lol but from stock antenna and my 2 new ones they hardly change

So anyway basically if I was to buy the usb wich I was planning to use portable with android somehow

I would like idk have to buy guns of antennas and buy a car for a cb antenna LOL? Well damn it