Thread: Oscilloscope

Post Oscilloscope

Hi there,
    Would really appreciate some advice on getting a oscilloscope for my shack. Being a real novice with these I am not sure if any of the following would be suitable being I have to keep in budget.
    Many thanks in advance.

Hantek DSO5202P Digital Oscilloscope Oszilloskope 200MHz 1Gs 2CH LCD 7" TFT
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...IzL&ref=plSrch

Or
    GRATTEN GA1102CAL Professional Digital Storage Oscilloscope 2CH 100MHz 1GSa/s 7" TFT Display
    https://m.tomtop.com/search/GRATTEN-GA1102CAL.html

Also do I need a 200MHz scope or would a 100MHz scope be OK?

The question is - what do you NEED a scope for?

You can usually find a good used / cheap scope on Ebay, the problem is - as they get old, they get out of calibration, and the calibration will cost a considerable sum of money.

Add to that, a good scope - such as a techtronix / HP- uses proprietary components, some of which are unavailable - after the scope is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.com/b/HP-Oscillosco...247/bn_7748337

as was stated, we would need to know how you intend to use the scope to be able to tell you anything about which scope would better suit you.

In reality, any old 'scope will do.
    My 20MHz dual channel, uncalibrated-for-at-least-20-years one is all I've ever needed.

I rarely use it, but it is handy on occasion.

Don't waste you money on a flash one, but a simple one until you need a better one...

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    In reality, any old 'scope will do.
    My 20MHz dual channel, uncalibrated-for-at-least-20-years one is all I've ever needed.

I rarely use it, but it is handy on occasion.

Don't waste you money on a flash one, but a simple one until you need a better one...
    Yes, if all you are going to use it for is to measure VOLTAGE - then calibration isn't important - as long as you don't care what the reading is - so long as you have some voltage.

Yes - some manufacturers warrant their equipment to be + - 10%, so if 10% is tolerable, then any old scope will do..

My point is - if there is a problem, it will usually manifest itself first by showing a bogus reading or will be erratic at best.

If someone goes to all the bother to inspect it before they sell it, using bench grade equipment - not the cheap stuff us hams usually have laying around, and will warranty it against defects for X amount of time - then it really wouldn't matter - eh. But if you think that you are going to get a better deal by buying a cheaper version that is new, I wouldn't expect it to work as well or last as long as the HP / Techtronix stuff.

My EE class at Penn State was using the same equipment 5 years ago as what they were using 30 years ago when my brother first attended class there.

All that showed me was that they were not putting the money they collected in tuition back into the department, and I wasn't getting a quality education from a technology standpoint...