Thread: Iambic key and straight key wired together?

Default Iambic key and straight key wired together?

Is it possible to wire a straight key and an iambic key together, so I can switch back & forth without swapping plugs every time? (Icom 7300)
    Thanks

Not familiar with the 7300, but if it has a jack for a straight key or a bug, and a separate jack for paddles, it might be possible. Why not use just one? I use an iambic paddle (Bencher BY--2) exclusively; never have needed to change.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

I only ask out of curiosity. I don't have the radio yet (the seller is waiting for a new one to arrive). I downloaded the manual, and discovered that if I want to change from paddle to st key, I have to change a setting in the radio, so it's not advantageous to do what I asked. Dumb question, I suppose. (Can you tell I'm a newbie?) I just got my Tech & General on Monday.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Not familiar with the 7300, but if it has a jack for a straight key or a bug, and a separate jack for paddles, it might be possible. Why not use just one? I use an iambic paddle (Bencher BY--2) exclusively; never have needed to change.
    So, why's your avatar image that of a straight key, then?

Perhaps with some diodes you could isolate them from each other, but maybe not necessary. Both share ground return, the straight key would input on the line for dah's, dits on their own line. You couldn't engage shorting bar on straight key because it would activate iambic circuit. I'm not sure exactly because I don't have a 7300 to examine. Maybe someone else has a better mousetrap?

Quote Originally Posted by OH8GAD View Post
    So, why's your avatar image that of a straight key, then?
    That's the key I used when I first learned Morse code - well before "iambic" was anything but a word you'd find in a high school literature classl .
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.