Thread: Hello from So. Cal., USA!

Smile Hello from So. Cal., USA!

This is Whiskey 6 November Lima Alpha, Jody, in So. Cal!
    I just got into the ham hobby in January. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones... my YL got into it with me! We both took our Tech exams on Feb. 3, and had our calls by the 5th! In Feb. we studied for our General and passed that on March 3! Still awaiting verification of that through the FCC. Don't know what happened there. But now we're studying for our Extra!
    We belong to a few local clubs, but so far I'm not seeing all the friendly faces that I've read about in these groups. Mostly the old-timers are stand-offish and a couple even downright rude! Anyway, enough of that here, don't wanna get a rep.

73s
    Jody, W6NLA

welcome to the forum...lots of friendly folks here and just like any club or being on the air, there are a couple old grouches too....have fun with the hobby and the forum

UPDATE:
    Been really frustrated with this hobby so far! Bought a new FT 857d and have had nothing but problems getting on the air! Why does all the programming require one to be an electrical engineer or at least have a degree in something?! I have so much equipment built up and having such a hard time finding any of that good ole Elmer help I've read so much about. I have antenna masts/antennas to get up, an FTDX 1200, a FTM 7250, etc., to get programmed and on the air! I'm getting really close to selling it all and throwing in the towel!!
    Last edited by W6NLA; Sat 12th May 2018 at 14:40.

Dude, don't get all bent over it. Ask some questions and folks with an answer will chime in. Be advised you're going to get a few of the RTFM types, even here, but none of this is rocket science. Even You Tube can be of some help, especially when you can see how things work (or not as the case may be).

Take a breath, it will be fine. Help is here. Keep the dialog going. Like eating an elephant, start one bite at a time.

Welcome to the fraternity!

RTFM only works if the said FM is well-written and understandable! The more complex the gear, the harder it is to write the manual. Trust me, I've written some (for products like organs and keyboards) and it's not easy putting yourself in the position of someone who doesn't know how something works. After all, as the writer, you know the product inside out and may well have helped to design it. So have some sympathy for the writers before you throw the book in the bin or at the cat!

That said, let me put my teacher's hat on and give you the same advice that some of my students get when they say the same things about their owner's manuals. All the info you need will be in there and I always advise owners to take the keyboard, or radio in this case, of course, and its owner's manual, just as you take the hobby - one bite at a time, as WZ7U said above. Then make a shortlist of things that you want the radio to to do but you can't persuade it to. Ask some specific questions here and any of the the friendly bunch who have 857Ds will help, I'm sure. Asking a general question or saying that you can't get on with the radio can only bring a general reply.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by W6NLA View Post
    UPDATE:
    Been really frustrated with this hobby so far! Bought a new FT 857d and have had nothing but problems getting on the air! Why does all the programming require one to be an electrical engineer or at least have a degree in something?! I have so much equipment built up and having such a hard time finding any of that good ole Elmer help I've read so much about. I have antenna masts/antennas to get up, an FTDX 1200, a FTM 7250, etc., to get programmed and on the air! I'm getting really close to selling it all and throwing in the towel!!
    Don't give up yet. Here is a list of clubs located withing the Los Angeles Section of the ARRL. You may be able to find the help you need at one of these clubs. I suggest you contact them all, attend a couple of meetings and go from there.

http://www.arrllax.org/index.php?page=local-clubs

Quote Originally Posted by W6NLA View Post
    UPDATE:
    You can programme this radio very easily using CHIRP.

I have both my 897 and 857 backed up this way.

A good club can help with such things, as shared knowledge is invaluable and those new to the hobby often need a guiding hand.

Kind regards,

Phil