Thread: Using 75 ohn coax with a Slim Jim

Default Using 75 ohn coax with a Slim Jim

I need to check a 2m transceiver (Yaesu FT-230R) that's not been used for nearly 20 years. I have a Slim Jim antenna and know this needs 50 ohm coax but I don't have any. All I want to do is check whether the rig is working; if it is, I'll fix up the Slim Jim properly and feed it with 50 ohm. The only coax that I have is 75 ohm. Might I do some damage to the Yaesu by hooking it up with 75 ohm coax?
    Thanks in advance for comments.
    R

No and from what I have read, the mismatch between 50 and 75 ohms isn't that bad either - if you have 75 ohm cable into a 50 connector, then there shouldn't be any real problems - just use a SWR meter to make sure it isn't too far out. The only real problem will come is if you use a 75 ohm male connector with a 50 ohm socket - such as BNC. The 75 ohm plug will have a thicker pin that could damage the receptacle part of the socket.

It's probably just as easy to find a bit of stiff wire - like old fashioned wire coat hangers, and cut 19" and stick it in the socket - from memory it's the usual PL259. This will easily be sufficient load to see if it fires up and transmits and receives.

OK - VMT for the replies and also to the administrators for reactivating my account so promptly.
    Yes, I read somewhere that the connector could be a problem. But I have an unused amphenol plug and guess I can solder in piece of 75 ohm coax. On the other hand, the idea of the wire coat hanger sounds promising. As I say, all I want to do is see if the transceiver still works after all these years.
    R

Here's what can happen. Assume a 50 ohm antenna fed with 75 ohm coax. The SWR on the coax is 1.5:1. That SWR can transform the impedance to 1.5(75)=112.5 ohms which is a 50 ohm SWR of 2.25:1 which is high enough to cause some transceivers to fold back on the power.

OK - thanks for the latest tip.
    I've found an old telescopic aerial from an indoor TV amp. I have cut this off and bent it to fit into the rear socket; it can be adjusted to 19 inches as mentioned above.
    For starters, I'll fit this in and see what I can hear.
    R

If I tried that around here, odds are I might think the radio broken because there isn't hardly any 2 meter activity this far away from the big city. So, if it appears broken, it may not be; could be just the wrong time of day for operators to be on at your place. No conclusion jumping, OK?

No, I do not endorse kerchunking repeaters, but maybe just this once

Do US repeaters have idents? Our UK ones still do, with CW ID which is handy. My UHF business repeater has no licence requirement to ID, but it does, which I find very handy when I'm out and about to show things are working.

Thanks again for the replies.
    Well, I've been off the air for nearly 20 years but still have the HF equipment in the loft.
    The Yaesu FT-230 does appear to be working --- I heard some faint voices last night --- but it's been scanning away for hours without any signals coming in.
    I might take it to the local club station and hook it up to a proper aerial.
    R