Thread: WSPRLite Go-Bag Ideas

Default WSPRLite Go-Bag Ideas

Hi, all.

I've been enjoying using my WSPRLite Classic, and have used it when out and about, with my Android phone and SOTABEAMS antenna.

Obviously, if I run the unit using my Android phone (USB Cable), it starts to sap the power after a couple of hours. I was thinking about the best way to use the Android SOTABEAMS client, but also have another source of power, like the batteries you can buy to recharge mobile phones, when on the move.

Anyone tried this? If so, what power/ battery source, and what cable to connect the battery/ WSPRLITE and Android device?

I'd be interested to know what else you'd take in a Go-Bag, such as antenna recommendations.

Cheers,

Chris
    2E0FRU

My portable WSPR beacon is the Ultimate3s, which I run off a 7AH batttery. I run this via an MFJ random wire tuner and 29 foot of wire on an 8m fishing pole (sorry to mix measurements).

Quite compact to move around the garden, and in the car.

I also have a solar panel and controller for sunny days.

There are lots of high capacity, low size, model racing, etc, batteries available, but these can be expensive.

I do believe Poundland do mobile phone USB power packs for a 1. You could try a couple of these, see how long they last.

Kind regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    My portable WSPR beacon is the Ultimate3s, which I run off a 7AH batttery. I run this via an MFJ random wire tuner and 29 foot of wire on an 8m fishing pole (sorry to mix measurements).

Quite compact to move around the garden, and in the car.

I also have a solar panel and controller for sunny days.

There are lots of high capacity, low size, model racing, etc, batteries available, but these can be expensive.

I do believe Poundland do mobile phone USB power packs for a 1. You could try a couple of these, see how long they last.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Hi, Phil.

Many thanks for coming back to me, and I few ideas to follow, in a moment.

You mentioned tuning your Ultimate 3S. I have thought about matching the WSPRLITE to different antennas, but wasn't sure how to do this, as the output is 200mW, which the instructions said would be problematic for most ATUs. Have you managed to find a way round this, I'd be very interested in a solution.

Cheers,

Chris.

Antenna analysers are your friend here. Tune up, connect up, then go.

I have this one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-A...xHHoCbSNEdxjnQ

I have the Bluetooth version, which isn’t that much extra. I didn’t bother putting internal batteries in, just run it from an external battery pack.

You can make an L Match tuner quite cheaply (working on one at the moment) but I also have this MFJ:-

2DB068B3-1B3D-4326-861A-CD94F641F501.jpeg

Kind regards,

Phil

Thanks, Phil.

I have no idea about antenna analyzers, but will have a read up, on them. I recently had a small QRP transceiver kit from the same company, as the eBay item, and the quality was a bit average; I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality kit or item.

The MFJ tuner looks similar to an Emtech ZM-2 that I've just been reading about, I'll have a look at the MFJ user guide, so I can see whether it would work with the WSPRLITE.

Cheers for spending time replying.

Chris
    2E0FRU

They are quite simple. Just dial in the frequency, or scan between a range, and you get impedance, SWR, Reactances, etc.

Handy devices, especially for portable work.

Connect antenna to ATU, connect analyser to ATU, adjust ATU for best SWR, connect WSPRLite, then off you go. Make a note of a ATU settings for next time.

Kind regards,

Phil

Wow, the hobby that always has something new to learn.

Cheers, Phil.

Chris.