Thread: i fear i may not get my license, despite passing my technician test

Unhappy i fear i may not get my license, despite passing my technician test

i passed my technician test quite a while back, but just because i screwed up years ago, my license is still pending. it really sucks, because it was many years ago, and it is not who i am anymore. it is very depressing. i have queried the FCC two times, and both times they have told me that my application requires additional review. i fear that after all this time, that it will be rejected, and i will be stuck with some expensive radio equipment i can't even use.

makes me wonder if my past will destroy my capability of moving forward, despite being a much better person now.

Sorry, just had to vent.

~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Bucket-base 20 foot vertical antenna
    Kenwood TH-K20a, HYS NA771 antenna

I don't know what your offence was, but I've learned the hard way that it takes a lot of "atta boys" to make up for one "oh crap!" And forgiveness from the government is usually the results of the statue of limitations expiring. Best of luck and hope you get it resolved.

i too hope i get it resolved. i have far too much invested in hardware, well beyond my means, to just give up on it. i still pick up the license manual now and then, trying to keep up on various things. the way my luck is, if i do get my license, i may have forgotten how to use it.
    worst part is, the power supply i was using was running another project, and gave up the blue smoke when the house suffered a brown-out due to weather. so to even listen, i have to get another power supply. that is, if i can find a place to setup my bucket-base vertical antenna (my so far best attempt at a portable antenna) in the snow.

oh well, worst case, i can at least do as much listening as i want. kind of takes the fun out of it though, if i can't talk back.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Might be worth speaking to a solicitor/lawyer on this, just to get some advice.

Kind regards,

Phil

unfortunately, lawyers charge too much. even just for advice. i guess i will just have to wait and see what the outcome is, whenever they arrive at one. I have asked the FCC twice now if they need more information, or anything else. they just tell me that it needs further consideration. i suppose no news is good news. they haven't officially declined it yet.

~Travis
    Equipment:

The US Government have long memories. I love that Canadian Border programme on TV - somebody drives into Canada, and they had a drugs caution in their teens and Canada won't let them in! Here we have the Statute of Limitations, so historic transgressions have less impact. The US version is more regimented. http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...mitations.html

There's a kind of menu system for each State. Confusing or what?

the problem for him here is that the statute of limitations has nothing to do with his issue... that does deal with how long after a crime has been committed that they can prosecute you for it...
    his issue is that once convicted of a crime, it can disqualify your for things down the road, and that may be forever...the FCC considers us as members of what they believe is that amateur radio service... and they get to decide what "kind" of people they want to participate...they can reject your application for a license for previous criminal convictions if they feel it reflects badly on the service...while no actual service to the community or government is required of states united hams, it is the reason the licenses exist...the airwaves belongs to the government
    (just ask them) and they get to decide who uses them and what for.

would i be safe in assuming that because the application was received on 09-20-2017, and here it is about 4 months later, that no news may be good news? in other words, if they have not declined it yet, that maybe they are seriously considering granting me a license? the two times i have queried them about it, they simply state that it still requires special consideration.

~Travis
    Equipment:

now going on 7 months, still pending.
    either they are actually thinking of considering granting me my license, or it completely fell through the cracks.
    my frustration has kept me away from the forum, but it is not a sign of any loss of interest.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by travis.farmer View Post
    i passed my technician test quite a while back, but just because i screwed up years ago, my license is still pending. it really sucks, because it was many years ago, and it is not who i am anymore. it is very depressing. i have queried the FCC two times, and both times they have told me that my application requires additional review. i fear that after all this time, that it will be rejected, and i will be stuck with some expensive radio equipment i can't even use.

makes me wonder if my past will destroy my capability of moving forward, despite being a much better person now.

Sorry, just had to vent.

~Travis
    I don't think it is a real problem unless it involves kids and an offense involving wireless communications and a prohibit from using it..

Look at this - Tim Allen's real life name is Tim Dick. And his call, KK6OTD.

Legal issues

On October 2, 1978, Allen was arrested in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport for possession of over 650 grams (1.43 lb) of cocaine. He subsequently pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges and provided the names of other dealers in exchange for a sentence of three to seven years rather than a possible life imprisonment. He was paroled on June 12, 1981, after serving two years and four months in Federal Correctional Institution, Sandstone in Sandstone, Minnesota.

In 1997, Allen was arrested for DUI in Birmingham, Michigan, and was recorded as having a 0.15 percent blood alcohol content.[28] He was sentenced to one-year probation. He entered a rehabilitation clinic for alcohol abuse as part of his court obligation

Hmm, that makes me feel a little better. still frustrated, but better.
    I just feel like i don't want to invest any more money, on the chance i can't use the equipment.
    i have taken some online practice exams now and then, and still pass, about 7/8 of the time. i figure the times i don't pass is due to not being immersed in the hobby.

in any case, i guess i will figure that no news may mean good news.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Could you make a Freedom Of Information Act request to for information why further consideration is required regarding your license application?
    https://foia.state.gov/Request/FOIA.aspx

I have sent a few messages to the FCC, and all they tell me is to be patient (patients is not one of my strong points ).

i suspect this means possibly they have a back-log to get through. i don't really dare push them too hard, for fear they may just deny my application.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Travis,

I wish I could give you some encouragement, but in the interest of adjusting your expectations -- you might want to do a google search on "KI7NCE".

That guy already has a license. He took the general test and passed, but the FCC refused him an upgrade because of a DUI from 30 years back.

It is crazy how the FCC punishes people for doing stupid stuff in their youth (we all do stupid stuff in our youth, don't we?) but they are outrageously lax about enforcing abuses on the air.

I wish you luck.

Don

just sent yet another request for information to the FCC. at this point, i am so frustrated that i am considering telling them to circular-file my application, and then sell my equipment for whatever i can get for it.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Default Let it run its course

Donít give up on this Travis. Time isnít an unreasonable expenditure to obtain the license. The FCC can take a while to process things sometimes. Let it run its course. I have a good feeling about this anyway.

By the way, my very first contact as a Ham was with a Kenwood TS-430S.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. i get so frustrated sometimes. particularly when i wait for a long time, with no observable change.

~Travis
    Equipment:

You did send them a reason for the felony and a detailed treatise on how you've rehabilitated yourself, right? Without that you may be stalled for perpetuity. I think it's a stupid requirement, but will save my comments for later. GL, 73 Eric wz7u

You did send them a reason for the felony
    yes

and a detailed treatise on how you've rehabilitated yourself
    yes, it was included in the felony explanation, though i am not sure how detailed it was...

~Travis
    Equipment: