Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i fear i may not get my license, despite passing my technician test

no developments yet, still pending, over a year later.

~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Bucket-base 20 foot vertical antenna
    Kenwood TH-K20a, stock antenna

Quote Originally Posted by K4DJM View Post
    Travis,

I wish I could give you some encouragement, but in the interest of adjusting your expectations -- you might want to do a google search on "KI7NCE".

That guy already has a license. He took the general test and passed, but the FCC refused him an upgrade because of a DUI from 30 years back.

It is crazy how the FCC punishes people for doing stupid stuff in their youth (we all do stupid stuff in our youth, don't we?) but they are outrageously lax about enforcing abuses on the air.

I wish you luck.

Don
    The gentleman's upgrade was granted 5/15/18.

well, it is encouraging, but the speed of the FCC...
    i highly suspect i will have to re-study my license study book, if and when i do get my license. just because i am not as absorbed with the material, and protocols. i do monitor 2M now and then. but i will have to dust off my HF at some point to continue my experiment with my antenna. the major problem is the space i had allocated for my HAM shack has been re-purposed in the mean-time. there is now a loud computer server-rack there, and it isn't ideal for audio communications.
    I haven't given up, though.

~Travis
    Equipment:

I just took a quick online ARRL practice exam, tech level, just to see where i am at, and managed a score of 80% correct! so even though i haven't been studying much, i have still retained some of the knowledge.
    so just like i thought, if/when i get my callsign, i will have to brush up on protocol, and such.

~Travis
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    The gentleman's upgrade was granted 5/15/18.
    Whose upgrade?

KI7NCE

~Travis
    Equipment:

Congrates Travis ... after waiting that long, I am sure that you will appreciate the license more.

Those of us that did not have to wait cannot feel the pride that you have with its final delivery.

73 -- K4CQO, Bob

sorry for the confusion, but that's not my call. it is a reference to post #22, in answer to the question on post #25 (i think).

~Travis
    Equipment:

I suggest you continue to contact the FCC, once a month and politely. After three or four months, the person or persons you contact will see that you are patiently and politely awaiting a decision and may take some action.

Ben

Hi Travis,

Did you ever get your call sign?

Quote Originally Posted by K4CQO View Post
    Hi Travis,

Did you ever get your call sign?
    not yet, still says "Pending" on the FCC website. fairly frustrating, in all fairness.

~Travis
    Equipment:

I took my test along side a now law-abiding felon friend of mine, he had his ticket within 2 weeks. This did, of course, occur a couple months before the felony question was added to the application. I am going to be extremely disappointed in the FCC if after 10 years they decide to just take it away from him without further thought....

Why does the "felon filtering" duty not fall on the VEC? Would it not make more sense to be judged by the community, to have the opinion of your peers, when applying for a license? Wouldn't it be so much easier if the VEC could look the felon in the eye to see how they respond to a few tough questions rather than allowing the FCC to make such a serious determination based solely on a long past criminal history and a written appeal (something they lack the time to do anyhow)?

If a person is required to study for the test and then monetarily compensate the VEC at the time of the test, there should certainly be well defined criteria for disqualification! That's the decent thing to do. Seems the FCC has no HAM spirit, lets ban them!!!! The problem is the entire show is run by thousands of power-hungry unelected bureaucrats who are not held responsible for the outcome of their decisions. Ooops, getting political, sorry.
    Last edited by brandon lind; Wed 27th Mar 2019 at 15:50.

i am not really trying to start a war on the FCC, or anything like that. i am just peacefully (well, mostly) waiting for them to get to my application. they keep telling me to be patient, but i am getting extremely frustrated.

i have played around with my HF rig (not TXing), and my 20 vertical antenna, but there is only so much you can do RX only. i have yet to stumble on any chatter, so i can only assume nobody is talking, or i am not listening "correctly". i fire up my 2m HT now and then, just to see what is happening around the local repeaters.
    But again, there is only so much i can do via RX. i could try some RDF, but without somebody else licensed to make and use the beacon, that activity falls flat.
    As spring is coming, i suppose it is time to dust off the 20foot vertical, and rummage around the bands.

so here i wait, still...
    ~Travis
    Equipment:

After 18 months I think I'd get serious with them. Not exactly starting a war, but getting a lawyer to write to them insisting that they either issue the licence or give you reasons why they are refusing to do so. And insist on a reply within, say, 14 days.

It will cost a few bucks to get a lawyer to do that, but I'm sure with a bit of research you might be able to come up with the appropriate wording.

The worst that would happen is that you'd get the 'reasons why', and end up with no licence, but that's what you've had since the fall of 2017.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

i can't afford a lawyer, and i tend to be non-confrontational, but i did send off another update request to the FCC. not sure what they will respond, but it could be the same "be patient" line.

~Travis
    Equipment:

I'm very much non-confrontational too, Travis. Life's too short to waste time in arguments. But there does come a point where even I say 'Enough is enough'. A polite, but strongly worded letter setting out the facts and insisting on a prompt decision one way or the other may do the trick.
    Current radios: VHF/UHF: 2 x Baofeng 2/70 Handhelds. VHF: Kenwood TR9130 2m multimode. HF: Kenwood TS930S-AT
    Home antennas planned: G5RV / G7FEK / end fed wire. 1/2 wave vertical for 10m. 6 element beam for 2m. Vertical collinear for 2/70
    Website for the 'day job': www.andrew-gilbert.com

Hi Travis,

Did you consider contacting your congresman or senator for help?

Have you been checking the database periodically to see if a call sign has been issued? I wouldn't rely on hearing from the FCC on whether your license has been granted or not.

AndyG0CCX:
    i fear if i push them too hard, they will default to "denied". then i would have to end up selling my radios.

K4CQO:
    i will look into that, but they tend to shy away from helping felons. kind of like the "black plague", or something.

K6CPO:
    i check it almost daily, and the status remains "Pending".

~Travis
    Equipment:

The FCC's response lack of response is bizzare. Certainly doesn't seem ethical on their part.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.