Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i fear i may not get my license, despite passing my technician test

oh they respond. but they do so without providing much information.
    The Commission has pending a number of applications. The matters and relevant FCC policies are being reviewed. We do not have any information on how much longer it will take.
    ~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Bucket-base 20 foot vertical antenna
    Kenwood TH-K20a, stock antenna

Hmmm... There is a new head commisioner. Maybe he has decided to redo FCC policies ?

And some government agencies do review what they do. Sometimes annually, sometimes over longer periods of time.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Hi Travis,

Has there been any update?

not yet. now i fear i may forget everything by the time they make their decision. i really should pick up the study manual to refresh myself now and then.

~Travis
    Equipment:

I just send off yet another request for a status update, though this time i reminded them it has been almost two years now, and that i deserve the respect of knowing what is really going on. i really am getting fed up with this hold-up, and many days i ponder the act of taking an ax to my radio equipment, and sending it to the FCC. i won't, but my mind is growing very weary, and i often wonder if my worthless existence even deserves a license.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Maybe a note to somebody who CAN get things going (Maine DOES have a couple of US Senators, I believe) and at least one Representative … if you were to let one or more of them know what's going on (or not going on), they have the power to unclog logjams. We here at this forum don't have the clout that Senatorial Letterhead can convey.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

One of your concerns seems to be that you bought equipment you can not use. This action seem to indicate a lack of good judgement on your part. Perhaps they are considering this and what effect that poor judgement might have on a reoccurrence of your previous mishap????

Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    One of your concerns seems to be that you bought equipment you can not use. This action seem to indicate a lack of good judgement on your part. Perhaps they are considering this and what effect that poor judgement might have on a reoccurrence of your previous mishap????
    it is not like he is the only one to ever buy a radio before his license came in. I know several people who bought gear before they ever took the test. Most folks have some minimal confidence in their abilities.

I guess I am just one of those people that always sets the parking brake before I get out of the car. 82 years has taught me not to assume ANYTHING.
    Last edited by jimisbell; Tue 11th Jun 2019 at 00:07.

Since the qualification question was added to the application form. I have had several people come through with positive answers. As far as I know, most of them have had their licenses granted within several months.

I don't know what the OP's offense was, but I seriously think that if the FCC hasn't granted the license after almost two years, it isn't going to grant one at all. It's time to stop agonizing over this and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Maybe a note to somebody who CAN get things going (Maine DOES have a couple of US Senators, I believe) and at least one Representative if you were to let one or more of them know what's going on (or not going on), they have the power to unclog logjams. We here at this forum don't have the clout that Senatorial Letterhead can convey.
    At this point, that would be my feeling on this as well.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.