Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i fear i may not get my license, despite passing my technician test

oh they respond. but they do so without providing much information.
    The Commission has pending a number of applications. The matters and relevant FCC policies are being reviewed. We do not have any information on how much longer it will take.
    ~Travis
    PASSED Tech exam on 09-09-2017 (awaiting callsign)
    Equipment:
    Kenwood TS-430s, Bucket-base 20 foot vertical antenna
    Kenwood TH-K20a, stock antenna

Hmmm... There is a new head commisioner. Maybe he has decided to redo FCC policies ?

And some government agencies do review what they do. Sometimes annually, sometimes over longer periods of time.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

Hi Travis,

Has there been any update?

not yet. now i fear i may forget everything by the time they make their decision. i really should pick up the study manual to refresh myself now and then.

~Travis
    Equipment:

I just send off yet another request for a status update, though this time i reminded them it has been almost two years now, and that i deserve the respect of knowing what is really going on. i really am getting fed up with this hold-up, and many days i ponder the act of taking an ax to my radio equipment, and sending it to the FCC. i won't, but my mind is growing very weary, and i often wonder if my worthless existence even deserves a license.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Maybe a note to somebody who CAN get things going (Maine DOES have a couple of US Senators, I believe) and at least one Representative … if you were to let one or more of them know what's going on (or not going on), they have the power to unclog logjams. We here at this forum don't have the clout that Senatorial Letterhead can convey.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

One of your concerns seems to be that you bought equipment you can not use. This action seem to indicate a lack of good judgement on your part. Perhaps they are considering this and what effect that poor judgement might have on a reoccurrence of your previous mishap????

Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    One of your concerns seems to be that you bought equipment you can not use. This action seem to indicate a lack of good judgement on your part. Perhaps they are considering this and what effect that poor judgement might have on a reoccurrence of your previous mishap????
    it is not like he is the only one to ever buy a radio before his license came in. I know several people who bought gear before they ever took the test. Most folks have some minimal confidence in their abilities.

I guess I am just one of those people that always sets the parking brake before I get out of the car. 82 years has taught me not to assume ANYTHING.
    Last edited by jimisbell; Tue 11th Jun 2019 at 00:07.

Since the qualification question was added to the application form. I have had several people come through with positive answers. As far as I know, most of them have had their licenses granted within several months.

I don't know what the OP's offense was, but I seriously think that if the FCC hasn't granted the license after almost two years, it isn't going to grant one at all. It's time to stop agonizing over this and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by K7KBN View Post
    Maybe a note to somebody who CAN get things going (Maine DOES have a couple of US Senators, I believe) and at least one Representative if you were to let one or more of them know what's going on (or not going on), they have the power to unclog logjams. We here at this forum don't have the clout that Senatorial Letterhead can convey.
    At this point, that would be my feeling on this as well.
    --
    73, Jim/N4AAB got my Extra class license on Aug 10, 2017. Vanity call in Oct, 2014.
    My Ham radio site has no popups, no music, no banners.
    'Through the thorns to the stars' from Ghost-in-the-Shell anime.

I found this link just googling the name and location. https://www.med.uscourts.gov/Opinion...A_V_FARMER.pdf

Is that you? If so I'm afraid I may side with the FCC on this one.

This could be someone else, but it is not a common name.

BUT if this is what you meant by "screwed up years ago" I HAVE NO sympathy for you....NONE!!!!!! My opinion is that you should be behind bars for life.

But, if its not you, I would still like to see why you are being refused a hearing.

well, if that is your opinion, then you must be of the opinion that people are incapable of change, and learning. those charges were from 2002, and i am not that person anymore.

by the way David Caldwell, i am curious as to why your license was canceled. you had a "General", why let it go?

~Travis
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by travis.farmer View Post
    by the way David Caldwell, i am curious as to why your license was canceled. you had a "General", why let it go?
    oh, i see, you are now "K5DBC". congrats on the vanity callsign.

~Travis
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Sixmeters View Post
    I don't think it is a real problem unless it involves kids and an offense involving wireless communications and a prohibit from using it..
    Sixmeters, are you clairvoyant? Or did you already do the research?

"well, if that is your opinion, then you must be of the opinion that people are incapable of change, and learning. those charges were from 2002, and i am not that person anymore."

It has nothing to do with your ability to change. It has to do with my 2 daughters, 2 grand daughters and one great grand daughter, and a wife that was raped as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
    "well, if that is your opinion, then you must be of the opinion that people are incapable of change, and learning. those charges were from 2002, and i am not that person anymore."

It has nothing to do with your ability to change. It has to do with my 2 daughters, 2 grand daughters and one great grand daughter, and a wife that was raped as a child.
    well, i am sorry for your opinion, but i had nothing to do with your wife being raped, and i have no interest in your family. my interest is in learning the art of amateur radio. besides, what exactly do you think i could do over the radio, that is monitored by millions?

i say again, that is not who i am anymore.

~Travis
    Equipment:

The problem Travis is that for many, they have certain boundaries that, if crossed, one does not simply come back from. Unfortunately, it seems you have just such an issue here. Part of the problem is so many people have no clue what goes on in sex offender treatment, and given the option, they would rather not. Which is completely understandable because we are all given the right to have our own opinions whether based in reality or not. Plus, some people are just downright vicious and do not believe in the redemptive ability in the human spirit; partly because so many have claimed to be rehabilitated then turned around within a period of time and re-offended, sometimes on a worse degree. Some people have built in prejudices and opinions. Some can't admit they are wrong. Ever. That's the problem dealing with humans.

I'm sure if you have truly achieved the level of aftercare in your sex offender treatment, by definition you should have demonstrated the ability (among other things) to honestly empathize with the people you victimized and their families. This level of awareness has you quite (painfully, I'm sure) aware of how people view sex offenses and the offenders that commit these acts. The reactions here should be of no surprise to you. Hams are usually a conservative group overall and by extension, quite incapable of empathy towards criminals of any stripe. While I am not quite so knee jerk in my outlook on life, I am having to question your judgement in a couple areas concerning all this.

First off, concerning the document in post #52, and assuming this is relating to your case; what made you think that you were eligible or entitled to early release from supervision? Clearly, reaching aftercare is not reason enough; that is something you are SUPPOSED to be doing. We as people don't get rewarded above and beyond for doing what we are supposed to be doing in the first place. Can you cite an example of that being the norm anywhere else in existence? For example, I don't get rewarded extra for just showing up for work, I have to excel in order for that to be a justifiable response to my request. Do you see what I mean? If you felt somehow entitled to get a year off your supervision for doing what you are supposed to be doing in the first place, that gives the appearance of faulty judgement especially to the court. I doubt your therapist gave their blessings for an action like this. No, my guess is if the therapist was aware of this at all, they were against such a maneuver. Or should've been, IMO. Of course there could be extenuating circumstances I'm not aware of, but you get the drift from the info given so far. BTW, 41 months "paying the rent" is peanuts compared to other sentences, federal or not. You could've waited that year and all this wouldn't be an issue right now.

Second, given that if this is indeed your situation and history, why would you be the least bit surprised FCC is dragging their feet with your application? Especially if they have access to the document exhibited in post #52? Dude, the FCC are mostly LAWYERS and given the current climate (rightfully so) towards sex offenses, why would a group of lawyers want to stick their necks out in this case. Now, I see your point of view in 'what exactly do you think i could do over the radio, that is monitored by millions' since there are very few minors in ham radio and it's not like you're able to touch the kiddies over the air. But people are concerned as to what you could conceivably say to those kiddies on the air. Right or wrong, it is a valid concern for them. They don't know you, they don't know what you are additionally capable of, and while looking at pictures to some people doesn't rise to a level of hands on crime against kids, it does act as an endorsement of the activity someone had to have taken in order for these images to even be available in the first place. If you feel you are better than the guy that actually raped a kid because you didn't do a hands on crime, I would suggest you tell your therapist that and see how long your aftercare status remains active. That would seem to me to be a fundamental misunderstanding indicating you are truly not ready for aftercare, or off supervision for that matter. I'm willing to be wrong, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Lastly, your timing sucked in that if you could've gotten a license before the criminal question came up, you could've skated out ten years before being asked if you were moral enough to burn villages after being on the group W bench*. I doubt the FCC will grant to sex offenders, right or wrong, for the examples I have come up with here. If all this applies to you and they still haven't responded by now, I would suggest selling the equipment and getting into CB, or keep waiting and hoping they will somehow change their minds. You could be waiting a very long time unfortunately. That's just how it goes, ya gotta take your lumps and roll with it. Sorry man, that's just how it is. IMO, some sex offenders get a raw deal, in that they have to register for life. You don't see any other class of criminal having this mandate to them. There is no murderers registration, for example. Granted, some need to be registered for life but a vast majority of low level offenders don't need a lifetime stigmatization attached to them. Plus, recidivism for sex offenders is so high, because the bar is set so high that the majority can't make the grade which results in a violation; usually meaning a trip back to prison over a matter of administrative malfunction. All because there has to be a boogey man and the weirdos get to be that boogey man. We all are attracted to what we are attracted to; it's a matter of managing the deviant attractions and not crossing the line. In this case, you got caught. Sorry about your luck/timing/whatever. I'm sure you would make a better ham than some of the miscreants you hear daily on HF, if only because you value your privileges more than the privileged few ever will. Sorry man, that's how I see it playing out in Cheeto Mussolini's 'Murica.

*my apologies to Arlo Guthrie for the Alices Restaurant reference. It seemed appropriate at the time.

I had applied for early release from probation, at the advice of my probation officer at the time.
    I know the struggle everyone will have to trust me, but i will do my best to earn it.

~Travis

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Equipment: