Thread: 2 Meter Antenna Et al

Default 2 Meter Antenna Et al

I JUST finished installing a 50' tower and I would like to buy/install a 2 meter antenna that is repeater-capable... I will research/shop for a 2 good meter repeater soon... I am willing to spend a little money for QUALITY... I am NOT interested in dual-band... I hope to add 6 meters in the future... Thanks for the help/advice/info...

What about the TRAM 1400 (10' aluminum 90 mph) or 1487 (5' fiberglass 135 mph)?

Any recommendations for coax (my run is ~100')? LMR400 perhaps...

What about in-line lightning protection?

Not sure about top vs side-mounting... I can do either but I think top-mount will be the 'cleanest' (yes/no/not necessarily)?

Appreciate the info... I want to do this once/right...
    Last edited by LiveDog; Mon 29th Jan 2018 at 20:26.

I have been very happy with this one. There are bigger, better ones, but are quite a bit more expensive...

If you don't want a dual band antenna, but want vertical polarisation and gain, then the next step up from using just the VHF performance of a dual banner, which is frankly, a bit feeble, is a commercial one. Length goes up, as does weight and cost but you can get a real 6dBd gain. Mind you, many commercial towers use two or four simple dipoles, and a phasing harness for 3dBd or 6dBd gain. They also give the option to spread them around the tower to give some steering of the beam to directions you want. In truth though, my commercial single band UHF out performs my white stick dual banner by only a small amount. Going up the tower a couple of meters probably does the same thing. A dual bander at maybe 50 compare to a slightly better commercial antenna system at maybe 500?

As I've said many times before, it doesn't matter what antenna you select if you cheap out on the feeder.
    Don't waste your money on RG-213 for VHF, go and find some Heliax or similar coaxial cable.
    Also, what Paulears said, height is king once you go above H.F...

Spend your money, buy a Stationmaster type antenna....

One antenna, put it up once, don't worry about it until something happens.
    Take it down, fix it, put it back up for another 20 years.

Diamond type antennas are designed for home use, not for repeaters.

Adjust it to minimum SWR, never put it at the top of the tower.

Side hang it - just like the LMRS people does with their antennas...

http://www.wiscointl.com/celwave/ant...pose/pd340.htm

http://www.wiscointl.com/celwave/ant...d620/index.htm

I missed the bit about wanting to run it ON a repeater, I mis-read it as wanting to use a distant repeater - my fault. If you plan to run a repeater, then it's MUCH more tricky than just buying an antenna. One antenna working or two? Cavities? Decent feeder, minimal leakage, maximum screening, and if dual antenna, then you could have to make the choice between higher and gainer antenna for the receive and a lower, perhaps higher powered one for TX.

Put up a 6 or 10 meters repeater, it would be more useful and a lot easier to coordinate...