Thread: SDR FFTs for frequency detection

Default SDR FFTs for frequency detection

Hi All,

I am using a Noolec SDR to collect data and plot FFTs (Fast Fourier Transform). This is my way of detecting or seeing what is out there but it does not work. I do not wish to decode anything, I just want to detect it. So I live near a council office which uses TETRA I believe, when I collect data around the TETRA frequencies I should be able to see a spike on the FFT but it doesn't work. The things I have tried to verify if the software I am using works is by using a TV remote nearby or car key fob or just your regular radio (e.g. FM). There was an ambulance standing nearby the other day and I tried to collect the data and perform an FFT of the data but it showed nothing.

How can I find out what I am doing wrong? Is there a way to tune the antenna or something?

Thanks,

In a word, yes.

The solution, is of course, more complicated,
    Antennas naturally resonate at one particular frequency, which is their "sensitivity". A harmonic of that resonant frequency usually has some sensitivity too.

Receiving a couple of ranges of frequencies is possible, it normally requires two (or more) antennas and a diplexer.

There are limitations and bonuses to this approach.

You are probably trying to receive V.H.F. & U.H.F. - tuning this kind of antenna is far more sensitive than an H.F. one, it can be done, but is not really practical.

Probably your best bet is to go for a preamplifier with a simple diplexer and a couple of antennas.
    This will introduce a lot of noise and will swamp your receiver with strong local signals, but will give you a lot of frequency coverage.

If you don't mind building/fiddling, look up "antenna tuning unit".

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    In a word, yes.

Antennas naturally resonate at one particular frequency, which is their "sensitivity". A harmonic of that resonant frequency usually has some sensitivity too.

Receiving a couple of ranges of frequencies is possible, it normally requires two (or more) antennas and a diplexer.

You are probably trying to receive V.H.F. & U.H.F. - tuning this kind of antenna is far more sensitive than an H.F. one, it can be done, but is not really practical.

Probably your best bet is to go for a preamplifier with a simple diplexer and a couple of antennas.
    This will introduce a lot of noise and will swamp your receiver with strong local signals, but will give you a lot of frequency coverage.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking at VHF I think as they're in the region of 390-470MHzI think I might start off with your suggestion about a preamp. I looked at an LNA4ALL preamp for SDR. Can you suggest me a rookie guide to filters etc to cancel out the noise, can I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4AJB View Post
    In a word, yes.

I have read more about LNAs now. I have a few more questions if you can help please.

Q1. LNAs seem to require bias tees. As I understand it, it's to supply power to the lna through the coaxial cable. So what if I don't mind connecting the LNA to my systems power supply through the gnd and vcc, do I still need a bias tee?

I might be able to activate bias tee by software as the nooelec sdr has his feature I think.

Q2. Can I just use any cheap LNA? I'm not interested in L band and really only need to look at UHF. Do I need to care about which LNA I get ?

Q3. For the circuit would I connect the LNA between the nooelec sdr dongle and nooelec antenna? And then connect the LNA to a power supply of 9Volts?

Thanks