Thread: Enhanced PyDSA software spectrum analyser using Rigol DS1054Z scope

Default Enhanced PyDSA software spectrum analyser using Rigol DS1054Z scope

Good afternoon everyone,

I thought this might be of interest to anyone needing a spectrum analyser but not wanting to spend a fortune.

I am embarking on a WSPR project and wanted to build/test my own RF PA and filters and generate some nice plots to document the project. To that end I needed a spectrum analyser but didn't want to shell out shed loads of cash for occasional use.

I found a software spectrum analyser PyDSA using a Rigol oscilloscope as a sampling front end. I took the original software design and enhanced it so that is was calibrated against a known input signal and was immune to changes in oscilloscope signal levels.

Rather than wittering on in text I have wittered on in a video to show what the analyser can do and what might be done to further enhance.

Hope you like, comments or suggestions (non rude ) very welcome.

Cheers,

Dave (G7IYK)

Good work. Spectrum analysers are a great bit of kit but, as you say, are expensive for occasional use.

Kind regards,

Phil

Cheers Phil,

I surprised myself with the level of restraint exercised in order to resist the temptation of buying the Rigol analyser

Once I get going with the RF PA and filters I will crack on and incorporate the tracking generator mode.

So many projects and so little time (need to retire PDQ) !

73's

Dave

Interesting to see how you got on.

I ended up with a Siglent scope as it had a better spec, and higher frequency, for the same price.

Kind regards,

Phil

I will add updates to the thread as the software gets enhanced

Default is the code available?

Is the code available for this project? I have the original code running on my pc with the ds1054 and these enhancements look great!

Gene

Hello Gene,

This is very good timing. I have been using the spectrum analyser quite a bit working on my stand alone WSPR beacon (soon to be published).

In the last week or so I have added more functions to the analyser .... peak search, delta marker and offset measurement. I am in the process of adding control for a low cost signal source to act as a tracking generator. This will allow frequency response plots to be made. Also the ability to store multiple plots in different colours.

I am on holiday at the moment for a few days. When I get back will finish and test the modification then will post a link to the code.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello All,

Not sure whether to add to this thread or start another .....

I have been making lots of modifications and enhancements to the PyDSA spectrum analyser. I intend to make another little video
    to show the changes but in a nutshell ...

Today's work covered the following:

- Correct calibration into a 50ohm load
    - Peak markers
    - Delta markers and delta power in dBc
    - Tracking generator support using a FY6600 signal generator
    - Multiple trace store and clear

The purpose of all this development has been to support my WSPR stand alone beacon project such that I can better document the RF output and filter responses.

Attached is a plot from the enhanced spectrum analyser showing three traces.

- The brown trace is the response of the 20m filter from QRP labs using the tracking generator feature I have added
    - The yellow trace is the output of the PA with no filtering , peak output is about 32dBm (30dB attenuator in place)
    - The red trace is the filter PA output using the QRP filter

It can be seen the filter is attenuating the 2nd harmonic by around 35dB

Any comments/suggestions very welcome before a proper write up.

Cheers & 73's,

Dave (G7IYK)

Spectrum analyser 3 plots.jpg
    Last edited by dtrewren; Wed 9th May 2018 at 20:28.

Hello Dave,

Will you be able to share the source code, please? I'm looking forward to trying these features.

Many thanks,
    Krzysztof