Thread: First play with WSPR and hit Antarctica !

Default First play with WSPR and hit Antarctica !

Evening all,

I had my first play with WSPR last night having previously been into JT65 and FT8. I set my Yaesu FT-450D up to 10W on 20m and performed a couple of transmissions.

After a minute or two popped the wsprnet map up .... only hit the Neumayer Station in Antarctica range 13588km (8152 miles), plus another station in south Africa.

See attached ....

I went to the pub a little bit chuffed

DP0GVN Antarctica flag Antarctica
    Neumayer Station III
    Ekstroem Ice Shelf
    Atka Bay, Dronning Maud Land
    Antarctica

Cheers,

Dave (G7IYK)

neumayerW.last.jpg

DP0GVN ice shelf.jpg

DP0GVN ice shelf database.jpg

17001km on 380mW is my record.

I usually stay around 500mW, but have picked up a 2W linear to play with for my portable beacon.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hi Dave, 10 watts is a bit QRO for WSPR although it is available as the maximum in the TX side of the program. (30dbm). I would suggest 2w maximum. This represents 33dbm in the WSPR Options. The receive side of programs designed by Joe Taylor, e.g. the JT series etc, are essentially very sensitive pre-amp broadband circuits. What happens when they receive a strong signal is that they de-sensitive (get swamped) the RX and only that signal gets through, meaning that the weaker ones do not get heard and cannot be decoded.
    Jon..... G4FUT
    Ex-Britsh Army
    RSARS 1425
    FISTS 18143

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!

Excellent - thanks for the feedback guys !

I will give it another go at lower power - the FT-450D has 1W steps 1-100W so I will turn it right down. I also currently have about 60m of RG213 to the feed point on the antenna so that is going to equate to ~1.5dB loss the antenna match is quite good on 20m.

I quite like the idea of building a lightweight beacon and then sending it up on a tethered balloon - a summer project I think

Not sure what the rules are on launching low power radio beacons ....

73's,

Dave (G7IYK)

Plenty of info on ballons from the enthusiasts on Twitter.

You can also use ALC to reduce your 1W further. My tuner has digital power readout, so quite easy for me to do.

500mW does seem the threshold for me. Above sort of guaranteed Australia, below is condition dependant.

You can also copy the data base page, after filtering out specific callsigns, and then paste this data into excel. You can then see the changes in SNR throughout the day.

Kind regards,

Phil