Thread: Dipole connector - is it weatherproof?

Default Dipole connector - is it weatherproof?

Hi,
    So I now have an offset dipole wire for my Yaesu FT-450D, and downlink coax which I bought separately from Maplin. Do I assume that because these things are intended for external use, the balun doesn't need any protection from the elements? I've attached a pic of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assume nothing. Unless the advertising clearly states that it's waterproof/weatherproof, or unless the manufacturer gives you a signed and dated document to that effect, it isn't either one.
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

If it has N type sockets they have a neoprene seal - SO-239's dont.

However, commercial tower operators would take an N-type, assume that is not sealed well enough and wrap with LX tape, then wrap that in self amalgamating tape, and then cover that with gungy Denso type tape. Then they'd consider it OK for a year or two. The usual thin is that water seeps in at the top and then works it way down towards the radio. Changes in humidity and temperature encourage the seepage, and often break any sealing you had.

I agree with the sentiments that have been expressed.
    I usually make my own baluns and center connectors and I know that the bodies I make are weather proof.
    That said, I silicone the openings where any connectors come out of the body and i silicone and tape around the threads when the co-ax is hooked up...
    so I would do the same for any commercial connector or balun I was using. Over time they will all fail.

Especially in rainy UK or here in Oregon....

Default where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    If it has N type sockets they have a neoprene seal - SO-239's dont.

However, commercial tower operators would take an N-type, assume that is not sealed well enough and wrap with LX tape, then wrap that in self amalgamating tape, and then cover that with gungy Denso type tape. Then they'd consider it OK for a year or two. The usual thin is that water seeps in at the top and then works it way down towards the radio. Changes in humidity and temperature encourage the seepage, and often break any sealing you had.
    I thought I was doing a good job filling the connector with "stuff" dielectric compound, and wrapping it with coax-seal.... It seems to keep things clean, but you never know for sure, and your suggestion seems a whole lot better- Where do you get that stuff? links to the product page?

Thanks in advance!!

'73,

The Denso tape is very similar to the stuff plumber use to seal around leaky waste pipes and is truly disgusting stuff. It's mega slimy and sticky, and sticks to you, and you stick to everything. Getting it on clothes is a nightmare.[URL="http://www.affixit.co.uk/Denso-Tape/Denso-Tape-50mm-X-10M.[/URL]

After exposure to the air, the dust settles and the stickiness goes away on the outside, but reappears when you cut it off. Self-amalgamating tape can be obtained from loads of on-line sources, and if you've never used this stuff it is brilliant. Pull the backing off the rubber tape, stretch to twice the length and wrap around the cable and connector, overlapping each turn and in a couple of days, it's one solid lump. I'm quite happy to just use this on my own antennas - and it wears quite well lower down, not exposed to mega winds, temperatures and sunlight.

2511382 you do not say where you are located, if you are in the states....
    the materials Paulears listed can be obtained at electrical supply houses and most of the larger home improvement stores... and if you have any old fashioned hardware stores in your area they often have it as well. Lots of online sources can be found with a google search.