Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is licensing outdated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jkohan View Post
    Hi,
    It seems to me that the current licensing procedure is extremely outdated. The questions on the exam seem to presume someone is going to build their own set up. That have been true many years ago but Imam sure the overwhelming majority purchase their equipment. I know there is no longer a Morse code requirement and how long did it take to get rid of that archaic requirement.

I believe that we should make it easier for people to get into Ham radio and not make it difficult. When we take the written exam for a drivers license the question are about knowing the rules of the road, not on compression ratios and the formulas for mass or power. Letís upgrade the testing to be about the rules and laws governing Ham Radio.
    Where in the world are you please ?

As your assertions do not measure up to the UK foundation exam and while the UK Intermediate and Full licences include significant electronics theory content it also reflects the freedom that the Inter / Full licensee has to tinker with their equipment.

and while many / most hams purchase radios , they may well build / modify / rig their own accessories, station set -up / shack and antennas - generally if a technically assigned business radio user has base stations and /or repeaters etc they will have a management contract with a professional business radio supplier / installer , where as even as an M7 with only a few months of licence holding under my belt i've built antennae, organised the works and done the technical parts ( but not the actual on the roof work to put the pole and anchors onto the chimney ) of putting a 2m /70cm colinear on the chimney of my home ...

Quote Originally Posted by tomrocks601 View Post
    After almost five decades of varying interest, I got my ticket about three years ago. I learned the code when I was a kid (several times, lol) well enough to copy at maybe ten WPM, and transmit at about half that.
    The removal of the code requirement, combined with dropping radio prices, finally got me my Tech license.

My stumbling blocks were the regulations and operating SOP questions. The technical information was pretty easy, it was all ninth grade science stuff I took in about 1973. I was amazed at how easy that part of the test was. And equally amazed at how some of the other guys passed their test, and then sat back down again for their General and Extra tickets.
    Here's what I would do if I could change the licensing procedure.
    1) I'd eliminate the list of questions. That way, if you knew the material, you could derive the answers, but no more just memorizing the questions.
    2) As suggested above, I'd establish a duration that an operator would have to spend in one class before he upgraded. I, too, hear guys with 2◊1 call signs who obviously don't have a grasp of radio theory.
    3) I would further restrict Tech operation on certain bands, open up some HF bands a little (like ten meters is).
    4) I would consider eliminating use of Echolink and IRLP to General and higher classifications. A little undecided about this, but I think people should actually use a radio for a while before they default to a computer.
    5) I would not reinstate the Code requirement. I think it's a useful thing to know, but to my knowledge, hams are the only ones still using it, and it has pretty much no utility outside the hobby.

I'm glad that entry into radio is pretty easy, I think it will bring more people in. But I'm appalled that advancing isn't more difficult than it is.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others think.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
    1. UK question bank is confidential and if questions are known to be leaked they are removed from the question bank fr a number of years if not forever,

2. What is the objective justification for that action - especially given that internationally for many years there was only one licence the difference between class A and Class B was that you had passed a Morse test and therefore had access to HF while there was the international requirement to know Morse to work on HF bands.

3. this is directly counter to the international direction of travel where the restrictions on the 'lower' licences are power and /or equipment based rather than the hard to justify where Amateur is the primary service on a band restrictions - again what is your objective justification for this ?

4. baseless, discriminatory and makes the hobby the preserve of older , well off people ... and ignoring that a hell of lot of the operation on those services uses RF at one or both ends of the QSO

5. RF wise there isn't a huge amount of morse use which means correctly that it would be pointless and another discriminatory , elitist and baseless decision to bring it back

Quote Originally Posted by Tempstar View Post
    I totally agree that the licensing needs to be changed. As a self policing group, we have made it entirely too easy to admit new folks into the licensed hobby, but lack the real fangs to enforce the FCC rules. In my opinion, the Tech test is about right, but General and Extra should get a lot harder. Coming from a radio and electronics background, I found the advance through General and Extra almost too easy, though I realize it probably isn't for most. There should be way more emphasis on operating and radio operation than electronic fundamentals. I also agree that there should be a "time in class" requirement before advancing. As a VE, I have witnessed folks with zero radio experience go to Extra in one sitting, just because they were good at taking tests. I also have experienced folks taking the Tech test just to get a leg up in their job, and have no intention of ever operating or owning a radio. I understand the reasoning behind making the tests easier, to get more folks interested in the hobby, making our numbers grow and using those numbers to lobby for protection of our allowed frequencies, but doing so while cheapening the hobby is a sad way to get there.
    why do you want a time in class requirement ? especially given that historically there was only a full licence and the band restrictiosn were hinged around the international agreement ref Morse and HF